Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Review of Foundations I've Used In The Past...

Hey, y'all! I copied this from my makeup blog, because I plan on combining them into a single blog. This post, I'm going to be talking about different foundations that I've used throughout the years, as well as my opinions on them! I still have some of these lying around, so I decided to do a bit of a comparison. The above picture with my stupid facial expression is my "before" pic. My face actually looks more red in person, but I think the difference between the foundations should be clear. Let's get started, shall we?

The first time I ever used foundation was when I was 14. My mom and I went to Sephora to kinda talk to the employees and figure out what I should use. The foundation the lady there used on me was Bare Minerals' powder foundation in fair. The way she put it on was really great, and it gave my skin an even tone, which I'd never had before! I was really excited, so we got it and the brush, and the next day, when I went to put it on... nothing happened. Clearly the lady had some sort of talent that I don't possess, because for the life of me, I could never make it look as good as she had. I mean, obviously, she was a professional, but seriously, how different could our techniques be? It's a brush and powder. Anyway, I used that for a while before trying something else. 

I think that I tried another powder before trying a liquid foundation, but I honestly just can't remember what it was. But, I'm sure it was loose powder, and able to be bought at Walmart. Past that, I'm clueless.

Next, I tried Covergirls's basic liquid foundation for sensitive skin. At this point, I was still using my fingers for liquid makeup application. I know that's not good now, but at the time, I was clueless. I think I only used a bottle, or maybe not even a full bottle, of this. I think what bothered me the most was the fact that it was hard to get out once it wasn't totally full. So I decided to make a tiny switch.

I used Covergirl's TruBlend for quite a while, and I personally think it's one of the best foundations I've used. It has a really nice array of colors, which meant that I actually got one that was the right color, which is a VERY rare occurrence! I did find that it didn't stay looking great all day, but that's mostly because of how oily my skin is. I'm sure someone with dry or normal skin would absolutely love this. What made me switch, though, was that I started breaking out worse, and I knew that powder foundations are better for your skin and don't clog pores. As you can see in the picture, I got pretty good coverage- that terrible chin pimple is much less red. Forehead is a touch less shiny, and my skintone is even. Also, this was with one full squirt. So not that much. If only it stayed like that all day!




So, that's why I switched to Physicians Formula  Mineral Wear Loose Powder. What I found, though, was kinda the same thing that I realized with the Bare Minerals powder: I have zero skill with powders! I don't know if it's me, or the product, but I can never seem to get it to look like it's doing anything! I can say that this always makes my face feel very soft. Now, since I have a good amount left, I use it as setting powder. As you can see in the picture, there isn't really a change. That red pimple is still red, and even though you can't totally tell in the picture, the rest of my face is just as red as before I put it on. And I used quite a bit.



The foundation that I've most recently thrown to the side is Neutrogena's Skin Clearing liquid foundation. I used it for quite a while. I was hesitant to even try it, because my face doesn't react well to salicylic acid, but I decided to give it a go when their concealer didn't dry me out. While I can't really say that it helped my acne in any way, it didn't seem to make it any worse. Like Covergirl's TruBlend, this also didn't stay put all day. I feel like the people who made it should have made sure it would stay put on oily skin, since acne comes from oily skin, but whatever!

So, those are the foundations I've used in the past. Soon, I'll post about my current makeup routine! Hopefully, I get something better figured out with the pictures, because the lighting is making it hard to see the differences that are very obvious in person. Any suggestions on fixing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!