Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Friday Night Boys- Off The Deep End

Hey, y'all! It's time for me to talk about another CD on my shelf! As always, I put my iTunes on shuffle, and the CD containing the first song that played is the one I'll be talking about!



Release Date: June 9, 2009
Genre: Powerpop, Pop-Punk, Electronic

Track Listing
  1. Permanent Heartbreak
  2. Stupid Love Letter
  3. Suicide Sunday
  4. Finding Me Out
  5. Stuttering
  6. Can't Take That Away
  7. How I Met Your Mother
  8. Hollow
  9. The First Time (Natalie's Song)
  10. Molly Makeout (feat. Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low)
  11. Unforget You
  12. Sorry I Stole Your Gurl
The Friday Night Boys lineup on this CD:
Andrew Goldstein- vocals
Mike Toohey- guitarist
Robby Reider- bassist
Chris Barrett- drums



About The Friday Night Boys: 
The Friday Night Boys formed in 2006, and put out 3 EPs: So Friday Night, So Friday Tight in 2007, The Sketch Process in 2008, and the That's What She Said EP in 2008. They followed those releases with this CD. Unfortunately however, they disbanded in 2010.

My Opinion about The Friday Night Boys:
While they were never one of my favorite bands, I like their music. They're definitely on the more poppy side of pop punk, and their music is so much fun. With their songs, I tend to either love them or just not care.

About the CD:  
As I said before, this was their only CD, spawning 2 singles: Stuttering and Stupid Love Letter. The album has a fairly typical sound, which may be why the band didn't last so long, because several other bands had a very similar sound.

IMHO: 
This CD is very up and down. There are several I really, really like, and others I just don't care about.They aren't interesting enough for me to like them, and they aren't bad enough for me to hate them. They're just there. It seems really disjointed. They have both a pop punk and an electronic sound, and I don't feel like they marry the two very well. They have songs that are very pop punk, and some that are very electronic, but only one that seems to marry the two successfully. 

As always, I'm going to give each song a rating out of 10 and then give a brief explanation of why it got that rating. 

Permanent Heartbreak- 9.5/10. I really love the acoustic version of this, but I absolutely love the electric guitar in this one. I wish there was more of that & less of the electronic sound.
Stupid Love Letter- 10/10. I love the whole attitude of the song, and it's one that you can blast and jam to, especially when you're angry. This is the only song where I feel they actually combined the electronic and pop punk and it worked.
Suicide Sunday-8.5/10. The chorus is really dynamic and fun and I absolutely love it, but the verses are just a bit dull.
Finding Me Out- 8/10. It's a sweet song, and I appreciate their attempt at a slower love song. It's not perfect, but it's good.
Stuttering- 10/10. This song is just pure fun. In my opinion, it's one of the most pop punk songs and I just love it. It's great.
Can't Take That Away- 7/10. It's sweet, mostly just guitar and cello, and it's simple. I appreciate that, but it just doesn't seem to fit their sound.
How I Met Your Mother- 9/10. This one just makes me laugh. This is possibly the only song that I like purely because of the story in it rather than the music.
Hollow- 8/10. This is one of the other songs that I feel is the most pop punk of the CD. It's not that I dislike electronic music, but I do like pop punk better and I feel like that's where The Friday Night Boys actually shine. Their electronic efforts just don't seem to work as well for them.
The First Time (Natalie's Song)- 7/10. I don't dislike this song, but it's very average, unoriginal, and forgettable. It's like a guy saying a girl is "nice." It's a complement... but is it really?
Molly Makeout (feat. Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low)- 10/10. This song is a lot of fun for me, and on top of that, All Time Low is my favorite band and I LOVE Alex Gaskarth's voice. So he makes this even better.
Unforget You- 7/10. I don't know if it's just that I have a thing against electronic violins, but I'm not a big fan of this song. This has the opposite problem that Suicide Sunday has. I like the choruses, but I'm not a fan of the verses.
Sorry I Stole Your Gurl- 7.5/10. This is definitely the most electronic song on the CD, and I still can't decide if I like it or not... and I've had this CD for 3 years. And this is such a minor thing, but I just can't stand the way they spell girl on this song. If you're going to go for "gurl" you should at least go all out and say "Sorry I Stole Ur Gurl."

Favorite Songs: Molly Makeout is definitely my favorite. I also really like Stupid Love Letter, Stuttering, and Permanent Heartbreak.

Least Favorite Songs: The First Time (Natalie's Song) is probably my least favorite. Can't Take That Away and Unforget You are also two I'm not so fond of.

Video! 


Molly Makeout


Stupid Love Letter music video

Rating: 7.5/10. The average was close to an 8.5, but I'll tell you why I docked points. Though the quality of the individual songs may be good enough to receive an 8.5, it's too disjointed for me to feel like an 8.5 is merited. Typically, if I like a CD, there are a lot more songs reaching the 10/9.5 mark than there are reaching the 7/7.5 mark, and they're the same on this CD.

Hope you liked my newest "The CDs on my Shelf" post! Have any questions? What did you think of The Friday Night Boys? Let me know all of this in the comments. If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow, because it lets me know y'all are liking them! Hope you enjoyed! Comment, comment, comment! I love feedback! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!