Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Paramore- Paramore

Hey, y'all! Welcome to the first CDs On Our Shelf post of 2014! As always, I put my iTunes on shuffle, and the CD containing the first song that played is the one I'll be talking about!



Release Date: April 5, 2013
Genre: Alternative, Pop-Punk

Track Listing
  1. Fast in My Car
  2. Now
  3. Grow Up
  4. Daydreaming
  5. Interlude: Moving On
  6. Ain't It Fun
  7. Part II
  8. Last Hope
  9. Still Into You
  10. Anklebiters
  11. Interlude: Holiday
  12. Proof
  13. Hate to See Your Heart Break
  14. (One of Those) Crazy Girls
  15. Interlude:I'm Not Angry Anymore
  16. Be Alone
  17. Future
Paramore lineup on this CD:
Hayley Williams- vocals, keyboards, piano
Jeremy Davis- bass, backup vocals, keyboards
Taylor York- guitar, drums, percussion



Paramore, L to R: Jeremy, Hayley, Taylor


About Paramore: 
Paramore has been a band since 2004. So far, they've released 4 CDs: All We Know Is Falling in 2005, Riot! in 2007, Brand New Eyes in 2009, and Paramore in 2013. The band has gone through several lineup changes. I mean seriously, their Wikipedia page has an actual TIMELINE showing the changes:

However, the timeline is partially inaccurate, because Hunter Lamb did NOT play on Riot!, and Taylor York didn't join Paramore until later, and I believe it was 2009. Josh Farro played all the guitar parts on Riot!, and Taylor was a touring member until just before Brand New Eyes.

My Opinion about Paramore:
Paramore was the first alternative band I got into, and they're actually what caused me to begin listening to alternative music. In the gap between Brand New Eyes and Paramore, I didn't listen to them quite as much and they fell down a bit on my list of favorite bands, but they've always been among my top 10 bands, and have been a staple in my ever-changing list of favorites.

About the CD:  
This is Paramore's newest CD. It's the first CD they've released since the Farro brothers left the band, and it's a bit of a different direction for Paramore. They've deviated from their typical just pop punk sound, and have incorporated many different styles and genres into making their self-titled CD.

IMHO: 
It's really funny, I actually just talked about this CD on my list of the top 10 CDs of 2013 (Link HERE if you'd like to check it out). Although I hadn't been listening to Paramore a lot when this CD came out, I decided to go ahead and get it and give it a go. I instantly fell in love. There are so many great songs on this CD. However, as I said in the top 10 CDs of 2013, all the songs on this CDs are either ones I really love, or ones I don't care about.

Just as I did on the last CDs On My Shelf post, I'm going to give each song a rating out of 10 and then give a brief explanation of why it got that rating. 

Fast in My Car- 9.5/10. This one is really fun and unique and a great opener.
Now- 9/10. While I don't think it was the best first single, I think it's a really good song.
Grow Up- 10/10. Hayley's vocals on the chorus are just great.
Daydreaming- 9.5/10. Once again, the chorus is just great.
Interlude: Moving On- 8/10. These interludes are not quite as successful as the rest of the songs.
Ain't It Fun- 10/10. The choir in it and the instrumentation make it very unique, as well as something very different for Paramore
Part II- 8.5/10. This is supposed to be Let The Flames Begin part 2, but I feel like it doesn't quite live up to the original.
Last Hope- 7/10. My least favorite on the CD. I honestly can't ever remember what it sounds like until I go listen to it again.
Still Into You- 10/10. Such a great jam song! And the meaning behind it is really cute as well.
Anklebiters- 10/10. I like that this one is one of the more rock songs on the CD, and that it's a bit of the typical Paramore sound thrown into a pretty atypical Paramore CD.
Interlude: Holiday- 7.5/10. The least successful interlude, in my opinion.
Proof- 7.5/10. Not a bad song, just very forgettable for me.
Hate to See Your Heart Break- 9/10. Hayley's vocals are really pretty on this one, and it's a really good slower song, which hasn't been seen yet on this CD.
(One of Those) Crazy Girls- 9/10. This song draws a very fine line between creepy and cute, and it bounces back and forth in a very interesting and cool way.
Interlude:I'm Not Angry Anymore- 8.5/10. This song is so clearly about the Farro brothers leaving, which they should stop harping on, but I really appreciate the humor in this song.
Be Alone- 8.5/10. Another typical Paramore song, but not quite as successful.
Future- 7.5/10. Again, forgettable! The main complaint I have with nearly all the lower scorers is that I feel like with 17 songs on the CD, they don't stand out enough and get lost!

Favorite Songs: Still Into You, Ain't It Fun, Grow Up, Anklebiters, Daydreaming, Fast In My Car, and Now. These songs are just so insanely strong, and some of the best songs Paramore has released.

Least Favorite Songs: Last Hope, Interlude: Holiday, Future, and Proof. As I said above, these songs aren't bad, they're just very forgettable and with a whopping 17 songs on the CD, they get completely lost!

Video! 

Still Into You music video


Anklebiters music video

Rating: 8.5/10. The average was around 8.7, so this is a little lower, but I'd say it was an 8.5 CD rather than a 9. There are enough forgettable songs that I can't quite push it up to a grade A CD, as much as I enjoy the top-scoring songs. As I said earlier, there's not a huge middle ground: either I love the song, or I don't!

Hope you liked my newest "The CDs on my Shelf" post! Do you like the changes I made to the format? Have any questions? What did you think of Paramore? Let me know all of this in the comments. If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow, because it lets me know y'all are liking them! Hope you enjoyed! Comment, comment, comment! I love feedback! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!