Saturday, January 11, 2014

30 Day Horror Movie Challenge

Hey, y'all! Welcome to my first One Day Tumblr Challenge of the year! I love, love, LOVE horror movies, so why not do a challenge on it. Also, to go along with this, I have a review of a bunch of horror movies which will be posted this coming Tuesday (January 14). In this, I'm reviewing pretty much every horror movie I can think of! With that being said, let's get started on the challenge!

Day 1- your first horror movie

Actually, I'm not 100% sure. The first time I started really watching them was in 8th grade, but I probably saw one before that. Actually... I thought it was at the end of 8th grade, but I think I saw 1408 in theaters so that must have been my first one.



Day 2- the last horror movie you saw in the theater

Insidious 2. My roommate and I went and saw it maybe a week or two after it came out. 



Day 3- favorite classic horror movie

Classic? Not sure how old something has to be to be a classic. Is The Shining classic enough? Yes? Good.



Day 4- a horror movie you thought you’d love and didn’t

Hmmm... I've been let down by several horror movies in the past. I go into each one hoping it'll be good and am often let down. Maybe the Prom Night remake? I was really hoping I would like it at the time but I ended up really hating it. This movie is literally every horror movie cliche ever, done in a terrible way.



Day 5- favorite horror remake

I'm just going to assume that we're allowed to include remakes of Japanese versions, because we all know that when Americans try to remake American movies, it doesn't end up well. That being said, I'm definitely going with The Ring. It's such a great movie!



Day 6- favorite vampire movie

I'm not even sure I have a favorite horror movie with vampires in it. I'll probably just go with The Little Vampire, even though it isn't a horror movie. It was one of my favorite movies when I was younger, and I've always really liked it for some reason, so I'll just go with that one.



Day 7- a horror movie you think no one has seen

Well obviously I haven't seen a horror movie that no one else has ever seen, but I guess the most obscure of the horror movies I've seen is probably The Stepfather (2009). I don't remember seeing a ton of advertising for it, I just saw it at a Blockbuster and rented it.



Day 8- favorite foreign horror 

I actually don't think I've seen a foreign horror movie. I just watch American made ones typically.


'MURRICA.
Day 9- favorite supernatural horror movie

Probably The Ring. But I mean, there are so many good supernatural horror movies that it's hard to say just one good one.


Day 10- horror movie everyone loves but you don’t

Everyone LOVES the original Nightmare On Elm Street... but I just didn't think it was that good!



Day 11- favorite horror/ comedy

This is possibly the hardest one for me because horror and comedy are my two favorites and the combo of them is just perfection. I'd probably have to go with The Evil Dead just because it is a legitimate horror movie, but at this point the over the top gore is so incredibly hilarious.



Day 12- your most disturbing horror film

This one's actually kinda hard for me, because I've actually never come away from a horror movie feeling legitimately scared or disturbed. Certain scenes are definitely disturbing, such as the scene in Hannibal with the head cutting/ brain eating. Maybe Helter Skelter, because it actually happened? I don't know.



Day 13- favorite zombie movie

Zombie movie... hmmm... I guess The Evil Dead counts, since they turn into zombie creatures? In that case, definitely The Evil Dead.



Day 14- favorite indie horror movie

I feel like I've mentioned this way too many times, but definitely The Evil Dead. It's just such a great movie. I love it.
Day 15- favorite monster movie

I really don't have one. I usually don't really like watching the ones with monsters. It's just not my thing.
Day 16- horror film with a great soundtrack

Sweeney Todd. I don't care if you don't consider this a horror movie, but it SO is. So much gore. And the music is great. I have the soundtrack and love it. 



Day 17- favorite 80’s horror

You thought I was going to say The Evil Dead, didn't you? NOPE! The Shining! Love love LOVE The Shining. 



Day 18- favorite horror movie filmed in black and white

I really like The House on Haunted Hill. It's a lot better than I expected it to be, and I actually jumped a couple times, which I was not expecting at all. 



Day 19- best use of gore

I really appreciate Tim Burton's use of gore in Sweeney Todd, and I also really enjoy the last like 15 minutes of Scream where Billy and Stu actually stab each other to make themselves look innocent, and everyone except for them can see how absolutely crazy they are. HOWEVER, how could I not give the best use of gore to this?:

Day 20- favorite horror character

I don't even know if this question is possible. I mean, there's never enough time to even get attached to characters, and even if there were time, why bother? They're almost all going to die by the end. I guess the best way for me to decide is whose deaths I was most annoyed at? I was really mad when Noah died at the end of The Ring... And when Sweeney Todd died. I was even mad when Billy and Stu (especially Stu) died at the end of Scream because they were just SO psychotic. It's also hard to pick a favorite because they're always doing the exact opposite of what you know they should be doing, so it just makes you hate them for being stupid. A couple characters that I like who DIDN'T die might be Rachel and Aidan from The Ring? Because she spent her whole week trying to figure out how to save herself. And Aidan is just the epitome of both creepy and a good guy.
Day 21- best horror franchise

I mean, is that even a question?

Day 22-best death scene

I really love Billy's death in Scream. The way it makes fun of horror movie stereotypes is just brilliant.


Day 23- a great quote from a horror movie

Is this really cliche and obvious?



Day 24- horror movie character that describes you

Hmmm... this is a toughie. Like I said on the other character question, I usually can't get attached to characters in horror movies. I guess I'd have to say Rachel from The Ring. She's skeptical to the point of putting herself in danger, but once she realizes she's in trouble, she's really smart and really does her research.


Day 25- favorite Christmas/ holiday horror movie

Wait... is this a thing? I've never seen one of these, and I don't think I want to. Christmas is the one thing that shouldn't have horror infused into it. The Nightmare Before Christmas is the closest anything should get to that, and it's not even a horror movie.
Day 26- horror movie for a chicken

Well, if you're going to put it that way...


Day 27-your guilty pleasure horror movie

Hmmm... often, if I think a horror movie isn't good, I just hate it. I guess the only one I'd say could fit is 1408. When I tell someone I like it, I follow it up by saying that I don't think it's scary, I just enjoy it.
Day 28- horror film you’d like to see remade/ rebooted

I think that if someone made a newer version of The Birds, I might be legitimately scared at it, because I'm terrified of birds.


Day 29- worst horror movie 

Oh goodness. There are so many I don't like. If I had to choose just one, I would have to choose The Box. That movie was just terrible. Nonsensical, ridiculous, and bad. Even James Marsden couldn't save this one.



Day 30- your favorite all time horror movie 

This one is even harder than the last one. The Shining, The Ring, and Saw have been long-time favorites of mine. Sweeney Todd, The Evil Dead, The Strangers, and Scream are all ones I've seen within the past year (or, in the case of Scream, within the past month!) and have really grown to love those. So I can't really give you one, but those are the ones I really love.


Hope y'all enjoyed my 30 day horror movie challenge! What did you think of my choices? What are your favorite horror movies? Least favorite? Let me know in the comments! Also, don't forget to check back Tuesday for my horror movie reviews. Thanks for reading, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!