Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Products I Regret Buying (Part 1)

Hey, y'all! Today, I'm going to be talking about the products I regret buying. Lately, I've been watching a lot of videos of youtubers talking about products they regret buying, and since I did my "10 Products I Would Repurchase" post last month, I decided to go ahead and talk about the products I regret buying.

This is going to be the first of 2 posts. The second post is going to be the products I regret buying because I don't like it or think that it's not a great product. This post is going to be products that I regret buying for other reasons (wrong shade, etc.).

Disclaimer: Just as everyone says, this is just my opinion. Some of these, I regret purely because of shade or personal preference. I get really bothered when people use the words "horrible", "terrible" or "hate" to explain why they don't like something. Something that doesn't work for me may work for someone else. There are definitely products on each list that I wouldn't recommend to anyone ever, because I just don't believe the quality is there. BUT, I'll try to explain myself as thoroughly as possible and if you find me using the aforementioned words, please point it out to me, because I don't want to come off as bashing products.

Rimmel BB Cream


This was one of the BB creams I tried this summer, and as you can see, it was just too dark for me... and I have it in light! I swear, though I am pale, I'm not THAT pale! There are plenty of people lighter than me! Anyway, it's not a bad product, it's just too dark for me! Make more colors!

Revlon PhotoReady BB Cream


Very simply, this is just not a color match at all. It's lighter than most light BB creams, but as you can see above, it's still a bit dark and orangey on my skin. 

L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream

My problem with this is partially because of the product, but also the color, so I'm including it on this one. I tried it during the period where I was going BB cream crazy. One reason I gave it a go was because I have really fair skin, and this had one or two more shade options, as well as starting out white and then "adjusting" to your skin tone. They can claim that this adjusts to your skin tone all they want, but I just don't believe it. I have the fair, and this comes out to be both darker and more yellow than my skin, so it just doesn't work for me because of that. So like I said, the problem is with the color, but also the fact that it doesn't actually adjust to my color even though it claims to.

Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation
TruBlend is on the left, Outlast on the R.



This is a good foundation, but I have a huge problem with the color. I have Covergirl's TruBlend, which has the same shade range as the outlast stay fabulous. However, ivory in trublend and ivory in outlast stay fabulous are totally different colors, and the outlast is significantly darker. Ivory in trublend works really well for my skintone, so obviously the outlast doesn't. If you look at the swatch above, you'll notice two swatches on my hand. The top is TruBlend, the bottom is Outlast. It didn't pick up quite as well on camera, but they're significantly different colors, both in a little dollop and when blended out. They also look very different in the container, which the camera also didn't pick up as well.

Mary Kay Concealer


When I bought this online, I THOUGHT I knew what color to get, because I always need the lightest one. Shouldn't be hard to figure out which one that is, right? WRONG. When I got it, it was so insanely yellow that it was completely unwearable. They've since changed the labels and there is one labelled "yellow," which I can only assume is the one that I have. It's just so incredibly yellow. That swatch above is all the way blended in. Just for fun, here's what it looked like while I was blending it.
This was literally bright yellow in person.

e.l.f. Jumbo Eye Shadow Stick- Midnight Rendezvous


I have 4 jumbo eye shadow sticks, and I do like them, but I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when purchasing this black. I don't wear black eye shadow... ever. This must have been some sort of impulse buy.

Almay Eye Shadow Stick Duo
 

I have the one for green eyes, even though I have brown eyes because honestly, anyone could wear any color they want. The only reason I regret buying this is because I just haven't used it. The light blue and purple are both really pretty, but I've just never used it. Not sure why, but I just haven't.

e.l.f. Matte Lip Color- Nearly Nude, Rich Red

My issue with these is partially color and partially formulation. I bought Nearly Nude because I like nude lips, but the texture was like a concealer. It was so thick and dry and cakey. Then, I bought Rich Red to try and figure out if the problem was with that one color or with all of them. The red was much more smooth and felt like a lip product actually should. However, I didn't think beforehand about the fact that I NEVER wear red lips. I like nude/natural/ pinky lips, so I have no idea what I was thinking. So, I definitely wouldn't recommend the nude due to the formulation, but the red is nice... just not for me.

e.l.f. Lip Stain
 

I have this in natural. It's a perfectly fine product, I just don't like the color. I think that the color doesn't match the name it was given. It's far too reddish to be labelled natural.

So, there you go, a handful of products I regret buying! I bought a lot of these without looking to see reviews or anything, which I've decided is never a good thing. Often, I don't buy any makeup product unless a beauty guru I trust has said it's good. Or I see them recommend things and it convinces me to buy it. Anyway, the second list of products I regret buying will probably be my Feb. 11 post. That one will be a bit more interesting for me because the products on that list are products that I have some pretty major issues with.

Hope you enjoyed reading! What products do you have that you regret buying? Let me know in the comments! If you like my posts, I would really appreciate if you'd follow/subscribe, as it lets me know you're enjoying what I'm doing. See y'all Saturday for the next chapter of The Secret Lightning Scar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!