Saturday, July 16, 2016

Ranking Project Runway Designers #15 [37-48]


Hey, y'all! So I'm back with the next post in my series ranking all of the Project Runway designers! As I said in the last post, this is a new 18 post series on my blog, with each post consisting of the next 12 designers. 

Here's my disclaimer once again: Any and all comments are my opinions on them based on the way they presented themselves on the show (and of course, the way the show was edited) and in no way is a reflection of how they are in real life. The way a contestant presents themself on a show, combined with the editing of the show, is not necessarily the way they are outside of the show, and because I don't know these people personally, I can only go based off of the way they were portrayed on the show. 

Also, I feel like this is a little obvious, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. If you don't want to be spoiled for what happens in the show or what order people go home, don't read any further. Because I will mention what place the person got. And I'll be talking about All-Stars placings too, if applicable, so just bear that in mind before continuing to read on. So let's just jump right into the next 12 on the list.


48. Kini Zamora
Season 13- 3rd Place
All-Stars Season 5- Runner-Up

Poor Kini. The guy totally deserves to have won at least one season of Project Runway at this point. I'm a bit partial to one of the people who beat him out (soon, y'all, soon.) so I'm not too bothered by that loss, and I thought that the other person who beat him simply made a better collection than he did. However. I still think that he's a super strong designer and that there's a reason he made it all the way to the finale. Twice. Plus, he's one of the most likable people to come out of recent seasons. The only knock I have against him is that his aesthetic isn't always my thing.


47. Leanne Marshall
Season 5- Winner

I have mixed feelings on Leanne. I think that she was definitely a strong designer. I loved her finale collection, and I also think that the work she's done after Project Runway is super pretty. But her personality was just so average (remember: as presented on the show!). Maybe she's just rather introverted or shy, but her personality just really didn't shine on the show, so she just came off as this very bland person who was actually a really great designer. Unfortunately for her, while the show doesn't take this into account, my list does. So she finds herself here.


46. Uli Herzner
Season 3- Runner-Up
All-Stars Season 3- 3rd Place

Aww, I love Uli. She's adorable. I enjoyed Uli on her original season, and I enjoyed her on all-stars. All-around, she just has this really sweet, nice personality and I think it would be really hard to dislike her. On top of that, she made some really great designs! Sure, she was a bit one-note in her season (which ultimately lost her the title) but she did that one note to perfection. I'd never wear any of those Miami beach dresses, but I can perfectly picture who would actually buy her dresses and absolutely love her.


45. AJ Thouvenot
Season 8- 12th Place

This is one of my more out-there choices for someone in the top quarter of my list. Quite honestly, part of my placing him this high is because he got completely robbed in his season. That team challenge was a complete disaster and if the show had actually followed its premise (one day you're in; the next day you're out), Gretchen would've been dunzo. But, she'd proven herself to be a strong designer and AJ hadn't quite proven that, so he became an easy scapegoat for his strong team and quickly got the auf wiedersehen. On top of that, I thought that his aesthetic was fun and I liked his personality. Is this a little high for him? Probably. But I liked him, so sue me. (Don't actually sue me, I'm just a sassy 90s kid at heart!)


44. Michael Drummond
Season 8- 9th Place

Yes yes yes, another eyebrow raiser. I get it. I haven't quite made this obvious at this point, but season 8 is one of my faves and therefore designers on that season stand out more in my mind and I have more solidified opinions on them. And I really enjoyed Michael Drummond. He probably wasn't the strongest designer on his season, but his personality was great. He had such great confessionals. He was hilarious and sassy and just really enjoyable to watch. I loved him. Again, sue me but don't actually. 


43. Jay Nicolas Sario
Season 7- 4th Place
All-Stars Season 4- 6th Place

Once again, I've made my opinions on season 7 quite clear. I love it, and I love a lot of its designers. Jay is definitely one of them. He had some super strong designs, as well as some hilariously weird and awkward moments. And topped it all off with this exuberant, adorable personality. I love Jay. 


42. Chloe Dao
Season 2- Winner

While I will forever say that the wrong person won season 2, I will also forever repeat how much I do truly like Chloe. And honestly, how could you not like Chloe? She was super sweet and super nice the entire season. I'm not sure there's a mean bone in this woman's body. And she's a great designer. She was strong the entire season, and proved throughout that she was a force to be reckoned with. As stated, I still think that someone else proved this more, but I will still definitely defend the fact that she's an incredibly strong designer who did partially deserve the win.


41. Christian Siriano
Season 4- Winner

I'm just angering people left and right over here! (No I'm not. Is anyone even actually reading all of these?) Anyway, yes y'all. I've done the unthinkable. I've put the darling of Project Runway all the way at 41st place. I know. I know. I know. But, I think I've made it rather clear by this point that we're firmly within the "people I like" range of the list. And I do like Christian! But he's just not as high up on my favorites list as I think he is for a lot of PR fans. I feel like a broken record here, but season 4 isn't as high up for me as it is for many PR fans, and despite Christian being my favorite designer on that season, and despite enjoying his personality overall, there were definitely moments that reminded me that he was a rambunctious 21 year old boy. Loud and often full of himself. But often in an endearing way. Sometimes not. Overall, I do really enjoy him, but he winds up lower for me because his aesthetic is fine but not always my thing and because he was sometimes a little much.


40. Sonjia Williams
Season 10- 5th Place
All-Stars Season 4- Runner-Up

Sonjia is just an overall wonderful package. Extremely likable, super entertaining, and a very strong designer with a wide-reaching aesthetic. Quite honestly, the only reason she's all the way down at 40 is just because I'm so attached to all the designers above her. I really enjoy her ready-to-wear aesthetic, and really enjoyed her personality as well. Sonjia is just great.


39. Jay McCarroll
Season 1- Winner

Oh, Jay. Jay be cray. But I love him. He was so entertaining on season 1. And then he didn't even accept his winnings because all of the contractual obligations. He was just such a wonderful mix of kooky and hilarious and he was a delight to watch. Plus his finale collection was super interesting. Just don't accuse him of stealing your dye ;)

38. Kenley Collins
Season 5- 3rd Place
All-Stars Season 1- 4th Place

Kenley is definitely one of the most controversial designers to be on the show. She's one of the rare designers to be rude to Tim. How could you be rude to Tim?! That's my biggest qualm with Kenley. But she made for some entertaining TV and I actually really enjoyed her aesthetic. Thinking back, I might move her down a little lower after seeing some of the people that I put behind her, but I've already committed to this list. Just know that she should be slightly lower than this... but not too much. 


37. Ashley Nell Tipton
Season 14- Winner

And we've finally come to the most recent winner! I really enjoyed Ashley. Going into the season, I was worried she wouldn't be that strong, but she ended up really impressing me in the end and I think she was very strong (obvs, she won the whole thing!). She was also one of the most likable on a season that (IMO) wasn't one of the most likable seasons in the history of the show. 


So, those are the next 12 designers in my Project Runway designer rankings! I'll be back soon with the designers who got places 25-36! Who are your favorite and least favorite people to be on Project Runway? Let me know down in the comments!

Previous Post: Ranking Project Runway Designers #14 [49-60]
Next Post: Ranking Project Runway Designers #16 [25-36]
Check out my links below!


Thanks for reading! If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow so that I know you're enjoying what I'm posting! See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!