Sunday, August 17, 2014

My "BookTubeAThon" Challenge!

Hey, y'all!
So if you're at all familiar with the BookTubeAThon, then you're probably very confused right now. Actually, you're probably just as confused if you don't know what it is. Allow me to explain.

The BookTubeAThon is a Youtube-based reading marathon that has taken place the past two years and was created by and is hosted by Ariel Bissett.  Basically, BookTubeAThon occupies a single week, and during that week, you attempt to read as much as possible. There are also several challenges that you can attempt to complete throughout the week if you so choose. Oh, and one other thing... it took place from July 14th- July 20th.

So, you're probably wondering why I'm talking about it now. It's a whole month later. Well, if you've followed my blog, you know that throughout the month of July, I challenged myself to read the entire Pendragon series. Unfortunately, that kept me from being able to fully participate in the BookTubeAThon. I was able to get a lot of reading done on my series by doing twitter sprints, but I was really sad that I didn't get to try and complete any challenges, because reading through a series in order doesn't necessarily cater to the challenges.

So, what I decided to do was to take a week in August (which was originally planned to be last week, but that didn't happen) and to attempt to complete all of the BookTubeAThon challenges. So, August 18th- 25th will be the week where I'm attempting these challenges, and after that's over, I'll let you know how I did.

Now, let's get into the challenges and see what I decided to read to complete each of them!

1) A book with pictures
The Shadowhunter's Codex by Cassandra Clare and Joshua Lewis

This book has a lot of illustrations throughout it. I just recently read all of Cassandra Clare's books except this one, so I figured that I might as well read it since it's a companion to the series. Plus, it's pretty short and I think it would be easy to finish it really quickly. 

2) Start and complete a series
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander

This is a middle-grade high fantasy series that's 5 books long. They're all very short, so it shouldn't take me very long to get through them, which is really good for a read-a-thon.

3) A book with red on the cover
Animal Farm by George Orwell

As you can see, my copy has quite a bit of red on the cover. I picked it partially because it's short, but also because it's Ariel Bissett's favorite book ever and I'm interested to see if I really like it as well. 

4) A book that someone else picked for you
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

I collected a pile of 5 books to do this one. Each book completed either the "a book with red on the cover" challenge or the "a book from the genre you've read least this year" challenge, so that I could knock out two birds with one stone. Then, I had my roommate choose a number between 1&5 and she chose 4, which landed on Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac, which is interesting because this is also another of Ariel Bissett's favorite books and she's the one who caused me to get it.

5) A book from the genre you've read least this year
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

This one is doing double duty. Like I said up above, each of the books in that stack could have completed a second challenge, and for this one it was "a book from the genre you've read least this year" because I've completed a single contemporary book... although by the time this post goes up, I'll hopefully have finished one more!

6) Read a book and watch the movie adaptation
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander

One again, this one is doing double duty. The Disney movie, The Black Cauldron, is based off of this series. From what I've been told, the movie is not just based on just the book "The Black Cauldron" but I'm also under the impression that the movie doesn't cover the entire series either. I don't know. But The Black Cauldron is one of my favorite Disney movies, and it's extremely underrated. I'm excited to see how great its source material is!

7) Read a total of 7 books

If you count up all of the books I'll be reading throughout the week, you'll see that I'm reading 8 books, so I'll definitely be completing this challenge!

I also made a video back around the time of BookTubeAThon discussing what I would be reading, so here's that if you're at all interested in watching that...


So, those are the books that I will be reading starting tomorrow (Aug 18) and going through the rest of the week. I'm not sure which book I'm going to tackle first, so we'll just have to see how things unfold! Hopefully, at the end of the week, I can do an update post saying how well I did, but I won't go into my opinions on the books, because I plan on doing a series discussion on The Chronicles of Prydain, and plan on including the stand-alones in my next Stand-alone discussion post. So watch out for those coming soon!

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading this! If you like my posts, don't forget to subscribe/follow, since it lets me know that you're enjoying what I'm doing. See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!