Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Products I Regret Buying (Part 2)

Hey, y'all! Today, I'm going to be doing part two of the products I regret buying!

If you haven't read part 1, you can click HERE to check it out!

A couple weeks ago, I talked about the products I regret buying because of things like incorrect color or other problems that aren't due to the quality of the product.This post is going to be the products I regret buying because I don't like it or think that it's not a great product, so it's mostly problems with formulation or design.

Disclaimer: Just as everyone says, this is just my opinion. Some of these, I regret purely because of shade or personal preference. I get really bothered when people use the words "horrible", "terrible" or "hate" to explain why they don't like something. Something that doesn't work for me may work for someone else. There are definitely products on this list that I wouldn't recommend to anyone ever, because I just don't believe the quality is there. BUT, I'll try to explain myself as thoroughly as possible and if you find me using the aforementioned words, please point it out to me, because I don't want to come off as bashing products.

Rimmel Clean Finish Foundation

I tried this out because it was only 3 or 4 dollars, so if I didn't like it, I wasn't wasting much money. Honestly, I'm really glad I didn't spend more than that, because I don't think it's even worth that. I don't think that the paddle is very good at getting the makeup out. I actually don't get the packaging being used like that . I also don't especially enjoy the foundation. To me, it felt far too thick and a bit gloopy, both when applying it and after it has been completely applied. Per usual, it was too dark for my skin, but for once, that was the least important issue to me this time. I would probably have to say that this is my least favorite foundation I've tried.

e.l.f. Zit Zapping Concealer

If you saw my elf haul post, you'll know that I had A LOT to say about this product. I'm going to try really hard to be nice about this product, because I really, really, dislike it. I'll start with the packaging. I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to have huge problems with this "click-up" form of packaging. These little tubes seem to never work correctly. Often, I'll have to click it 8 or 9 times before product will come out, and then 8 or 9 clicks worth of product will ooze out. Then, when you put the cap back on, even more oozes out. I just don't think this packaging works for any product.

On to the actual formulation. This product is very very thick and difficult to blend. I bought it because I thought it would be great to conceal blemishes, reduce their redness, and (according to the packaging) zap the zits. However, it's so thick that rather than eliminating redness, it turns everything green. A little of it goes way too far. On top of all these aspects, it also had a strong Noxema scent and was almost impossible to remove from my skin. I tried so many times to make it work, but I just couldn't, and I couldn't find any redeeming qualities to it.


e.l.f. Loose Eye Shadow
The big fail with this product is the packaging, but I honestly can't tell you how good the product inside is, because I simply can't get it out. The eye shadow is all in the cap and there's a sponge on the end of a springy wand, which is supposed to get the product both from the cap and onto your eye. It's a nice idea to have the product and applicator all wrapped up into one packaging, but it simply doesn't work. It's hard to get the shadow out because the applicator is springy. The sponge is tiny, so it's really hard to get the product onto your eye. Those two things combined make it nearly impossible to get anything onto my eye or even see how good the product is, which is really sad because the color looks so pretty. Also, this definitely isn't a loose shadow, because it's all packed down into that little purpley part of the cap that you'll see in the picture above.


e.l.f. 3 in 1 Lengthen, Define, & Volume Mascara


I thought this might be really great because the brush is such an interesting shape, but while I liked that, I wasn't a huge fan of the formulation. After putting it on, it looked like I had about 5 lashes. It's not clumpy, but it did stick my lashes together, which certainly is not defining or volumizing. I feel like this brush might be good if used with a different mascara.

e.l.f. Precision Liquid Eyeliner

This is the $3 liner from elf's studio line, but I honestly feel like the $1 eyeliner is much better. This is partially due to the brush, and partially due to the formulation. This brush is larger than the brush on the other one, and I think that's its downfall. Although this is the precision liner, the other one is able to be much more precise. I find it very hard to get a thin enough line with this. I also think that this liner is far too wet. It took a very long time for it to dry- much longer than a liquid liner should.

Wet n Wild H20 Proof Liquid Eyeliner

Once again, my problem is both with the formulation and the applicator. The actual eyeliner is fairly thin and watery, and the applicator is very stiff. I feel like the stiffness of the tip makes it too difficult to apply the eyeliner, especially with how thin the eyeliner is. It seems like it practically scrapes it off as it's being applied.

e.l.f. Waterproof Eyeliner Pen

While it's certainly easier to apply this eyeliner than the other eyeliners I've mentioned so far, it's almost impossible to get two good lines in a row, which is extremely problematic. I'm not sure if it's only the applicator or the actual product, but it simply doesn't work. I bought a second one to see if it was just this one, but the second one had the same application problem.

EOS Lip Balm: Strawberry


These products are so big and I'm sure some people will be upset that I'm putting this on here. Aside from the strawberry, I also have the lemon. I'm not sure if my strawberry was a dud, because the two balms are very different textures and consistencies. The lemon is very smooth and hydrating, and I really enjoy it. My strawberry, however, is really waxy and not very hydrating at all. It feels like it sits on my lips and doesn't do much. And the strawberry scent is also not very pleasant for me.


e.l.f. Hypershine Gloss

I really like the color of this gloss (fairy), because it's a really natural pink shade. The problem I have with this gloss is that it's very thick and sticky, and I feel like it just doesn't feel comfortable to wear on my lips. I only used it a few times to review it, and just haven't used it since, because I don't like the feeling of it. Another strike this has against it is the packaging. As stated earlier, the click-up style of packaging is one that I'm not a fan of.

e.l.f. Super Glossy Lip Shine

I bought the clear one just for something to put in my purse, but it quickly moved back out of my purse. Just like the hypershine gloss, this is very very thick and sticky. I bought the second one to see if maybe a different color would make a difference, but it felt exactly the same. Although the hypershine gloss and super glossy lip shine are different products, they seem like the exact same product in different packages.

e.l.f. Total Face Brush

This brush just doesn't seem to have any actual purpose. The bristles are very scratchy and extremely sparse, so it doesn't really spread anything well, and it doesn't feel good on the skin. I just don't think it's worth buying, even though it's only a dollar. 

So, there you go, a handful of products I regret buying! I bought a lot of these without looking to see reviews or anything, which I've decided is never a good thing. Often, I don't buy any makeup product unless a beauty guru I trust has said it's good. Or I see them recommend things and it convinces me to buy it.

Hope you enjoyed reading! What products do you have that you regret buying? Let me know in the comments! If you like my posts, I would really appreciate if you'd follow/subscribe, as it lets me know you're enjoying what I'm doing. See y'all Saturday for the next chapter of The Secret Lightning Scar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!