Thursday, February 13, 2014

Exciting New Acquisition- Library Card Catalog!

This is a pretty random post, but I'm really excited about this, so I'm posting it now and hoping to get some suggestions!

I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but I work in my school's library in the cataloging department. I take care of the books- preparing them for library use by putting in barcodes, college stamps, making book jackets, etc. I also do repairs and shelving- my most frequent jobs.

Recently, my college has decided to stop using physical cataloging cards. Now, there's no longer a use for all of these huge shelving units the cards used to go in. Much to my pleasure, someone in the library decided that the cataloging staff, as well as the cataloging student workers, get to keep sections of the shelves- FOR FREE. I wish I knew who in the staff made that decision so that I could give them a huge thank you.

Not only have we been allowed a 5 drawer by 3 drawer section of the shelves, but we were allowed to pick out which drawers we wanted, allowing us to create our own unique section.

My section is the one shown in the middle with the post-it on it. It needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I'm really excited that I get it. I've always really liked these, and they're terribly expensive to buy- especially vintage ones like these. And let's be serious- vintage card catalogs are WAY cooler than pristine-looking new ones. 

Here's my predicament though... I'm not sure what to use them for! They're great to look at, but I want them to be functional as well. I know where I'm going to put them, but I'm not sure how to use them! Eventually, once I have my own place, I want to have an office with lots of books and bookshelves, so this would be a cool office organizer... or something. But currently, it's just going to go in my room, and I'm not exactly sure what to put inside. All that really fits inside are smaller things, and I'm not exactly sure what smaller things I can put inside. I've seen ideas online, but most of them show how to make card catalogs prettier, or how to make them into a table... but I just need organizational ideas.

So, what should I put inside my card catalog? Any and all suggestions will be helpful! I don't get to take them home for a little while, so I have a while to figure out what to do with them. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!