Saturday, December 13, 2014

Reader Problems [Book Tag]

1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?

Honestly, I just tend to go for the books I'm most excited about reading. Whichever book's premise is drawing me in the moment is the one I'm going to grab. For example, I recently re-watched one of Regan's (PeruseProject) hauls and saw her haul The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon. When she gave a brief summary, I was immediately intrigued. I ordered a used copy and read it ASAP. And loved it. 


2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?


If I'm not loving it, I probably won't make it to the halfway point. If I do end up making it halfway through, even if I'm still not feeling it, I'll push through the rest. Even if it's only so that I can talk about how much I disliked it with other people who disliked it.


3. The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

I may or may not be in this situation now... kinda. I've changed my goal several times throughout the year-- and almost every time, it's been to add more books. I base it around what books I want to have read. Currently, I've read 55/65. Even though I'm behind, I'm going to try to catch up because I will be on break. If I don't make it through, I don't make it through. But I'm going to try. And as for the how, just by trying to make as much time for reading as possible. The easiest way, I think, would be to read a series or trilogy because I would get really into the world and characters and be more motivated to read. 



4. The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?

This is actually a problem that I have with one of my favorite trilogies.

I mean, look at that atrocity. I know I talk about this all the time, but this trilogy is the most absolutely disappointing cover change in the history of ever. The first two books have the most absolutely gorgeous covers ever. When I did my list of favorite covers, these two got second place. I love these covers a lot. But that third cover... ugh. It's relevant for the story, but it doesn't match! I've seen fan-made covers that matched the first two and were incredibly gorgeous. Is it really too hard to make them all match? Usually, the cover changes are done if they're not getting the sales that they want. But who on earth would think that more people would buy the new Shades of Earth style covers over those gorgeous original covers?!?! It just infuriates me. 

However, to the actual question. As much as it frustrates me, I still get the book. If I like the original covers, I get the original covers, and they just won't match. But if I like the new cover better, I might replace my old copy. I have the Shatter Me trilogy in all of the new eye covers, but the first book is in paperback because the eye cover hasn't been made into a hardcover. I'd rather have a cover I like than ones that match in cover or format.



5. Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?

I go to GoodReads! Katytastic said this too, and I definitely agree with everything she said. I really didn't like Looking for Alaska by John Green, so I just went to GoodReads to find other people who disliked it!



6. You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?

Like Kat from Katytastic, my first question would be why am I reading in public?!?! However, I realized that this has actually happened to me. When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, I didn't want to put it down, and my parents dragged me places with them. So I got dragged to the mall, and had my nose in the book. And right then, I got to *SPOILER ALERT* the part where Fred dies *END SPOILER* and I just started crying in the middle of the mall. And I just let it happen because that's the worst thing in the entire Harry Potter series and I still cry every single time.



7. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?!?!?

Typically, I like to read a series back to back, so that I can avoid this problem. However, it honestly depends on the situation and mood that I'm in. If I'm in the mood to read the first book and have time to, I will probably re-read the book. However, if I have a huge list of books that I want to read or I'm just not in the mood to re-read the previous book, I'll probably just find a synopsis online and read it. Worst case-scenario, I wait for the series to be completed before re-reading the whole thing. 



8. You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?

This is a problem I come across, because I have a lot of books. However, I just say sorry, but these books are very special to me and I've had bad experiences with people borrowing them in the past (I haven't, but it makes for a more convincing argument). I'm a bit more forceful about my Harry Potter books. I'm just like "NO." Sorry, but there's literally no chance of anyone reading those except me. They're my babies.


9. Reading ADD. You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

This actually happened to me a couple months ago. I didn't read anything in the month of September because I just kept picking up books and putting them back down and couldn't get into any of them. The only thing that made me actually read was that I'd set a horror book challenge for myself in October. Once I hit October, I read like 3 books in a single week because I was just really excited about them. So I think the key for me is to be really excited about them. Maybe buy a new book that I've been eyeing for a while and just read it right away.



10. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?

It depends. If I'm genuinely that excited about all of them, I'll just buy them all. I have no self control. However, if I'm just mildly interested, then I probably won't buy it. For example, I'm really interested in reading the Throne of Glass series, but since I haven't read the first two and don't own them, I didn't buy Heir of Fire when it came out. I'm still really interested in reading it, but I just don't see the point of buying the third one if I don't own and haven't read the first two. However, when The Mime Order (sequel to The Bone Season) comes out, I'm going to get it. It's already pre-ordered.



11. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

Just like many other questions on this, it depends. Typically, if it's the continuation of a series that I love, it gets read immediately. However, there are exceptions to that rule. City of Lost Souls sat on my shelf for two years before I read it, even though I absolutely love that series. But typically, I buy books I'm excited about long before I can actually get to them because I want to read all of the other books that I bought before that. So I honestly am not sure how long the average is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!