Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Top 10 Book Covers

Hey, y'all! So videos of people discussing their favorite book covers have have been around for a while on Booktube. Lately though, I've been seeing some of my favorite booktubers do lists of their top 10 favorite book covers. I realized that I hadn't done a post like that, and it seemed like fun, so I decided to list my top 10 book covers.

Unlike most people, I decided to rank my list. This was more difficult than I thought it would be, but I also just really like ranking things. Also, I limited it to the books that I personally own, and I didn't really take my home bookshelf or kindle into consideration. I mainly just focused on the books that I could see with my own eyes. That being said, let's get started!



#10: The Knife of Never Letting Go
by Patrick Ness

Red and black are my favorite color combination, as well as two of my favorite colors. I really love all of the covers of these books, but especially this one because of the color scheme. And I really love the typography. Also, this is the only book on the list that I haven't read. 

The spines on these editions of the trilogy are really pretty as well. 



#9: Fangirl
by Rainbow Rowell

Teal/turquoise is another of my favorite colors and it's just really pretty on the cover. The only thing I wish I could change is to have Levi saying "Cather" rather than Cath. Because it's more appropriate for the story. But I feel like it perfectly captures the story and I love the color scheme. Plus it's really gorgeous naked as well:

I love charcoal grey and I love that the title is in turquoise. It's just really pretty. 


#8: The Quillan Games
by DJ MacHale

I really love this cover, and it's definitely my favorite of the Pendragon covers. I love that Bobby is wearing the red challenger shirt, and that it's got the really awesome castle in the background. It's really cool and is really relevant to the actual story. Also, for the series in general, I really love the little pictures on the spines that show the same picture of Bobby that's on the cover.


#7: Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline

I don't have a specific reason for loving this one, I just really like how everything comes together. It's also a really nice representation of the way that the trailers are stacked in the novel because it would probably be really hard to picture. 

#6: Shatter Me/ Ignite Me
by Tahereh Mafi

I lumped these two together because they're in the same series and are practically the same cover. I really love the darkness of the Shatter Me cover, with the black trees coming out of the eye. In comparison, I also really love the gorgeous teal cover of Ignite Me, and how that's contrasted with the bright orange surrounding the eye. Very pretty. 


#5: City of Heavenly Fire/ TMI Series
by Cassandra Clare

City of Heavenly Fire is mostly here to represent The Mortal Instruments series, because all 6 covers are really pretty. City of Heavenly Fire doesn't have my favorite front cover (I prefer both City of Lost Souls and City of Glass), but if we include the inside of the dust jacket, this definitely becomes my favorite cover of the series, because look how pretty!

Yeah, the inside of this jacket is kinda gorgeous. I almost bought another copy of the book just so that I could hang this somewhere. It's so pretty.


#4: Clockwork Prince/ ID Series
by Cassandra Clare

I love the cover of Clockwork Prince, but once again, it's kinda a stand-in for the entire series. This is my favorite cover of the series, but the entire series has some of the most gorgeous covers on my shelf. They're all just so pretty and I love them. This one gets bonus points because of how blue it is and because it has Jem Carstairs on the cover and I love him lots. Don't make me choose between him and Will, because I won't do it. 


#3: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 
by JK Rowling

Once again, this is my favorite cover of the series, and represents the entire series. Because all of the covers are just really great. This one is here less for aesthetic and more for sheer awe and complexity. There are so many details in these covers and they're just so gorgeous. I didn't realize all of the detail in the covers until I actually took the time to sit down and examine them... and I was shocked. Sometime, you should just sit down with your copy of Sorcerer's Stone (and if you don't have a copy, the first step is going to buy one because what are you doing with your life?!) and just look and see what details you can find on the front, back, and flaps. It's really impressive. And Half-Blood Prince is my favorite because the swirly memories are really pretty and it perfectly shows the most important part of my favorite HP book. Hear that, David Yates? The pensive is the most important part. OK, stepping off my soapbox.

#2: Across the Universe & A Million Suns 
by Beth Revis

Numbers 1 & 2 were really, really close. In fact, I've considered these two to be my favorite book covers ever since I first laid my eyes on them. But one book beat them out because of how impressed I was with the production of the book overall. Anyway, can we just have a moment of silence to take in the beauty of these covers? They're just so gorgeous. Across The Universe was my favorite for a while, but I think that A Million Suns beat it. I liked that book better anyway. But these covers are completely gorgeous, which makes me even more upset at the cover change for Shades of Earth. But we won't get into that because I've ranted about that enough. But y'all, this trilogy is really great and really underrated. More people should read this. Pretty books with great plots. What more could you ask for?

#1: Unsaid Things: Our Story 
by McFly

OK, you're probably sitting here thinking that this was the most anti-climactic ending to the list ever. It's just a picture of 4 guys on a grey background. Woo. And it's not even a really great picture of the guys. There have been dozens of better pictures. I mean, yes it's one of those really nice, soft, dust jackets, but that's not exactly a redeeming quality. This cover isn't really that exciting.
Oh, how wrong you are...

Look at the cuteness going on on the back! Too adorable! My favorite part is probably that Tom is clutching Harry's leg at the bottom.

But wait, there's more!
Look at that gorgeous spine! I love the typography and the bold red. So pretty! 

OK, so that's it, right? That's the entire cover, so it can't get any more impressive, right?
WRONG.


LOOK HOW PRETTY IT IS NAKED! It's so pretty! 

And look at the inside of the book! I'm just really impressed with the amount of work that went into the production of this book, because it's really nicely made and looks like a lot of thought went into the design of it. Love. LOVE. LOVE.


OK, so that's it for my top 10 book covers! What are your favorite book covers? What do you think of my favorites? Let me know in the comments!

Also, I've finally figured out what I'm going to do about the next chapter of The Secret Lightning Scar. As I've said in previous posts, the upcoming chapter is my favorite one so far, and possibly my favorite one of the entire fanfic, so I want to make sure I give myself ample time to write it. And then I realized that the events of the story take place on November 5th... and so why not post it on November 5th? So that's the official date that it's going to be posted. It's actually going to happen this time. No more excuses. I also need to catch up on my actual series. And I have some book posts coming up. And a bookshelf tour. Basically, I need it to be Thanksgiving break already so that I can just have some time to work on fun stuff rather than homework.

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading! If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow so that I know you're enjoying what I'm posting! See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!