Saturday, October 18, 2014

A to Z Book Survey

Hey, y'all! Sorry I've been so absent over the last week. I got so swamped with work for classes and barely had time to sleep, let alone blog. Now that I'm officially on fall break, I have time to blog, and plan to get a few posts out. Including a new chapter of The Secret Lightning Scar. I've been promising it and promising it, and I'm finally going to actually get it out. Hallelujah. I'm also going to do a CDs On My Shelf to make up for the one I missed this week as well as maybe one more book tag. I don't want to overwhelm myself, but I do want to get a lot done in the next few days. 

Anyway, today I'm going to be doing the A to Z Book Survey. I saw some of my favorite Youtubers doing it and thought it looked like a lot of fun, so I decided to do it! 


A - Author you've read the most


The author that I've read most is DJ MacHale! I've read (and loved) all 10 books of his Pendragon series. Cassandra Clare will be tied soon once The Bane Chronicles comes out and I devour it. Right now, she and Agatha Christie are tied for second with 9 books apiece. 



B - Best sequel

There were several that I wanted to choose for this, because there are a lot of really great sequels. However, if I had to choose only one book, I'd have to choose...

I absolutely love the Across The Universe trilogy, and A Million Suns, book 2, is my favorite book in the trilogy. Even though I read these back in March, I already want to re-read all three of them. It's such a good trilogy, y'all. Everyone should read this. 



C - Currently reading


I started Vicious on Monday, but I'm still only 20 pages in. I got so swamped with work this week that I just haven't had time to read, but I really want to finish this over my fall break. Maybe even tomorrow? I just want to read it because it sounds amazing.


D - Drink of choice while reading


Let's be honest here, Dr. Pepper is my drink of choice while LIVING. I honestly don't drink much else other than Dr, Pepper. It's an addiction.


E - E-reader or physical books?

I have a kindle, and obviously I do have a lot of physical books. E-readers definitely do have their pluses. The biggest one is convenience. If I'm going on a trip, it's so much easier to take my kindle with me than to take several books. However... I still prefer physical books. I love my book collection. They come in so many shapes and sizes. They have beautiful covers. I just really, really love physical books. I want to have an entire library in my house one day. Or just a wall of books. I like physical books.


F - Fictional character you probably would have dated in 
high school

I actually have two answers for this...

Even though all my celebrity crushes in high school (and now!) were tattooed rockers, all of the guys I ended up liking and dating in high school were dorky and funny, which is actually still my type. And both of these guys definitely fit it sweet/dorky/funny bill. I'd still date either in a heartbeat. They're precious. 



G - Glad you gave this book a chance


Like most people, I tended to not actually do the readings for my English class. I used Sparknotes A LOT. However, I thought that this book sounded interesting, so I decided to actually read it. And I'm so glad that I did, because now it's one of my favorite classics, as well as just one of my favorite novels of all time. It's so great. 



H - Hidden gem book


I know that I harp on this all the time, but almost no one on booktube has read this series or talks about this series, but I absolutely, completely LOVE it. Like... it's probably my second favorite series. I go back and forth with this and the Shadowhunter Chronicles. I started reading it all the way back in 7th grade, and have loved it ever since. It's just so great.



I - Important moment in your reading life

I would definitely say that a very important moment in my reading life was when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released. The Harry Potter series has been my favorite series since the first time I read it, and the release of the final book was such an important moment in my life in general. That book just holds a very special place in my heart, as does the day that it was released, because I read it all day long. 



J - Just finished


I finished it a week ago, so it isn't exactly "just finished," but it is the most recent one that I finished and I loved it. I can't wait to read the next one when it's released. So excited!



K - Kinds of books you won't read

I tend to think of myself as a pretty broad reader. Even though Fantasy and Dystopian are my true loves, I also really enjoy contemporary, horror, mystery, science fiction, and much more. I also really love non-fiction books dealing with music and psychology. I think that if I had to choose, I'd say that I wouldn't read non-fiction books dealing with topics outside of music, psychology, or writing craft. I have no interest in business books, cookbooks, sports books, etc. I just don't want to read any of those and don't think I ever will. When discussing fiction novels, I think the only type I'm not interested in is historical fiction that is strictly historical fiction. For example, I absolutely loved The Diviners (as seen in the question above) and that book is set in the 1920s. I also really love the Infernal Devices trilogy, which takes place in Victorian England. However, both of these novels have fantasy and paranormal elements, which is what makes me love them. I don't think I would be interested in reading a historical fiction novel with no fantasy elements at all.



L - Longest book you've read


It actually makes me really sad to say that this is the longest book I've read, because I feel like this is almost everyone's longest read book. I personally absolutely love big books. For me, the ideal length of a book is somewhere around 500-600 pages... and maybe even bigger. I just love big books! And it makes me sad that I haven't read a book that's longer than this. Next year, I want to challenge myself to read large books. I'm thinking that I'm going to try to read 5 books next year that are over 800 pages. And I think I already know what books those will be. I may even read more depending on how much I love the ones that I plan to read.



M - Major book hangover because of...


When I finished this book, I immediately wanted to read something else exactly like it, but it's such a unique book that there isn't anything just like it. I started another book not long afterward, but I was thinking about this book for so long afterward and still want to find something that will be as cool as this was.



N - Number of bookcases you own

Technically, I guess I have three. The first one in my room at home.
Bookshelf at home!

 The second is a five-shelf bookshelf in my room here at college. The third is a small, two-shelf bookshelf that doubles as my nightstand. I'd show pictures, but I plan to do a bookshelf tour soon, so I don't want to spoil anything.



O - One book you have read multiple times

Just one? Uhhhh...

I haven't read it in a while, but I've read this one more than almost any other book ever. A couple books that I've read about the same number of times are Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I re-read books a lot so I've read these books a lot.  



P - Preferred place to read


Right here. I don't really read anywhere except my bed. I could read on the couch, but it's just too distracting with everything going on around me. And my bed is just so comfy.


Q - Quote that inspires you or gives you all of the feels from 
book you have read


"Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!"
-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I love that quote so much.



R - Reading regret

This isn't so much a reading regret as it is just a book regret, but I regret selling so many of my childhood books. Sometimes, I sold books because I wanted some spending money, or because I was moving and needed to downsize, or even just to clear out shelf space. But now, I really regret selling so many of those books. Especially the Charlie Bone series, because I had the first 6 books in hardcover, but eventually felt like I was too old for them and sold them. I regret that so much. I want them back now. I want all of the books I sold back.

As far as actual reading regrets, I regret taking such a huge break from reading. When I started college, I just stopped reading. I got busy with classes and friends and just didn't even think about reading. Even before then for a while in high school, I wasn't reading much. And I really regret that. I'm glad I got back into reading regularly.



S - Series you started but need to finish (and all books are 
out in the series)


It took me a while to figure out what series fit this, because I'm generally pretty good about finishing series. However, When I started this series, only the first 3 were out, and then once the 4th and 5th came out, I'd moved on and just hadn't thought about it. So, I never finished the last two. This actually might be the only series that I have/ have read where I haven't finished it and all the books are out. 



T - Three of your all-time favorite books




These three books are my current top 3 stand-alone novels. So there's a bit of a teaser for when I do my next top 15 stand-alones post.



U - Unapologetic fangirl for...


Aren't we all?



V - Very excited for this release more than any other


COME TO ME NOW, MAGNUS BANE! I need this book in my hands yesterday.



W - Worst bookish habit

Falling asleep while reading. Or buying too many books. Both of those things.



X - X marks the spot: Pick the 27th book on your bookshelf 
from the upper left


The 27th book on my shelf is Shades of Earth, the 3rd book in the Across The Universe trilogy. I really love this whole trilogy, as I've stated many times. So rather than going on and on, I'll just move along.



Y - Your latest book purchase


I don't have it yet, but this is the most recent book purchase I've made. It should be here next week, so yay! I haven't started the series yet, but I have books 1 and 3, so I figured I should go ahead and get book 2 before starting. 



Z - ZZZ Snatcher: Book that kept you up way too late


There are several books that have kept me up way later than I needed to be up, but this is probably the most recent one. Actually, The Diviners is the most recent one, but I've mentioned that one a few times already. Usually, I stay up really late because I want to know what happens, but this time it was purely because of how much I was enjoying it. I'm probably lucky I didn't wake my roommate up with all of the giggling I was doing.


That's all for the A to Z Book Survey! I think this is probably one of my favorite book tags that I've come across recently.

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading! If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow so that I know you're enjoying what I'm posting! See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!