Sunday, October 19, 2014

Would You Rather (Book Blog Edition)

Hey, y'all! So this book tag has been floating around Booktube for a few months, and I decided it would be fun to do this because some of these questions are very, very difficult. So let's jump right into it!

1. Read only trilogies or stand alones?

I really wish that one of these was swapped for series, because I love series more than either trilogies or stand-alones. And this is probably one of the harder questions. I have several stand-alones that are very close to my heart, and so many trilogies are really weak. However, I would get so tired of stand-alones, and having three books allows me to get more invested in the world and the characters.

I guess I'm going to have to go with TRILOGIES. Because I'll almost always choose the one that allows me to get more invested with characters and worlds.


2. Read only female or male authors?


This one seemed rather easy to me at first glance, but upon second glance, I realized that it might not be. Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, and the Across The Universe trilogy are very near and dear to my heart, and they were all written by women, as are a large chunk of YA books. However, out of my top 15 stand-alones, a whopping TWELVE are by men, as is the Pendragon series, AKA one of my all-time favorite series ever.

In the end, though, I think I'm still going to have to give it to FEMALE AUTHORS. Because if I couldn't read JK Rowling and Cassandra Clare's books ever again, I would be very sad. Plus, it gives me more options when choosing new books to read. 


3. Shop at Barnes & Noble or Amazon?


This one is one of the least difficult for me. I absolutely love going to a bookstore and picking out books and physically taking them home with me. However, Barnes and Noble is usually a lot more expensive than Amazon. And even if the website says the book is in-store, with my luck, it probably isn't there. I have Amazon Prime, so I can buy books for less expensive and get them in two days. 

I have to go with AMAZON. Although my ideal shopping experience is used bookstores. And Amazon has some shady business practices. But it's inexpensive, which is helpful for me.

4. All books become movies or t.v. shows?


When I first read these questions, I made a hasty decision, but I've since changed my mind. I absolutely have to go with a TV SHOW. Or, depending on the book, a TV mini-series. So if it's a stand-alone, just a mini-series, and then be done with it. Or in the case of Harry Potter, a seven-season long show, with each season being the exact replica of each of the books. So seasons 1-3 would be fairly short, but seasons 4-7 would be massive and epic.

5. Read 5 pages per day or 5 books per week?


I would have to go with FIVE BOOKS PER WEEK. I could always read 4 smaller books if there was one large book I wanted to read, although reading a 1000 page book within one week terrifies me. But yeah, 5 books a week. Although I don't know where I would find the time for that.

6. Be a professional reviewer or author?


This was probably the easiest question on this list. AUTHOR. AUTHOR. AUTHOR. It's been my dream job since I was an infant. Unfortunately, I have to be realistic and work on my novels on the side while balancing school and work and blog, but it's still a dream of mine. And I honestly don't think I'm a great reviewer, which is why I call my reviews "discussions" because I don't feel like I'm objective enough to be a good reviewer. 

7. Only read your top 20 favorite books over and over or always read new ones that you haven't read before?


As a notorious re-reader, this is actually really tough for me. I've seen so many people say "oh, I don't like re-reading that much, so this is so easy!" but that's definitely not me. I love re-reading books. I've read some of my favorite books like... 20 times. When I really love characters and a world, I love re-experiencing things and noticing new things that I'd missed before. However, 20 books is not that many. That's like... Harry Potter, The Infernal Devices, The Mortal Instruments, and probably my 3 favorite stand-alones. Not only is that neglecting all of my other favorite books, but also any new books I could ever enjoy. So I have to choose to ALWAYS READ NEW BOOKS THAT I HAVEN'T READ BEFORE.

8. Be a librarian or book seller?


If you've been following my blog for very long, you might know that when I finish with my undergrad, I plan to continue to grad school and get a dual degree in library science and musicology because I want to be a music librarian. However, I think it would be really cool to be a book seller too. I would never want to work in Barnes and Noble or in a public library at the front desk. Not my thing. However, I think it would be really cool to own an independent bookstore. And obviously, I would love to work in an academic library as a music librarian. I would also enjoy working as a cataloging librarian as well. Even though the independent bookstore option sounds really great, I'd still have to choose LIBRARIAN. I mean, that's what I'm going to school for. DUH.

9. Only read your favorite genre, or every genre except your favorite?


Well... I have two favorite genres (Fantasy and Dystopian!) so I'm just going to work off the assumption that both count as my favorite genre. Honestly, even if I had to choose between the two, I think I would still choose to ONLY READ MY FAVORITE GENRE. Most people have been choosing to read every genre except their favorite because it's less limiting, but I have to choose the opposite. If I had to choose a single genre, I'd probably pick fantasy. There are like 20 billion fantasy novels. And often, fantasy is mixed with other genres, so that gives me even more options. Plus, if I couldn't read fantasy, I couldn't read any of my favorite series. That just wouldn't work. 
 
10. Only read physical books or eBooks?


eBooks are really convenient for travel, but I will always, always choose PHYSICAL BOOKS. I love going to used bookstores and dream of having a home with shelves and shelves full of books. I will never give up on physical books. They're great.



That's all for Would You Rather Book Blog Edition. These questions were really tricky, but this was lots of fun!

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading! If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow so that I know you're enjoying what I'm posting! See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!