Tuesday, April 22, 2014

MASSIVE Book Haul #1!

Hey, y'all! I've gotten a ton of books lately, so I figured that I might as well show y'all what I got! I wanted to post this last week, but one of my orders took FOREVER to get here. But they finally got here yesterday, so I can finally show them to you. I bought all of these in the month of April (or right at the tail end of March) so I'm just slightly embarrassed at the sheer volume of books in this haul.

So, here's my attempt at picking up all the books like all the booktubers do... let's just say it didn't turn out great. But I didn't drop them, so that's a plus!

THE TOWER OF TERROR
So, since I got them in several different places, I'm going to divide this up into different sections, going in order of when I got them!

Full-Price Books

I got all of these books in multiple different purchases, but these are the only books I purchased either at full or mostly full price- on Amazon or at Barnes and Noble.

Clockwork Princess- Cassandra Clare

I bought this on Amazon a few weeks ago. It was constantly sold out at Target, and I couldn't find it at any used bookstores. I'm planning on reading this trilogy in the near future, so I decided to buy it, because Amazon was the cheapest price I could find. I can't wait to finally get into this trilogy, because I've heard so many great things about it!

The Book Thief- Marcus Zusak

I got this one on Amazon around the same time I bought Clockwork Princess. It was $8 on Amazon, which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere. Catriona from the Little Book Owl on Youtube always says that this is her favorite book, and so many other booktubers really love it, so I'm just really excited to get to read this.

Ignite Me- Tahereh Mafi

This is my first Barnes & Noble purchase of the haul. It was a comparable price on Amazon, and I just decided to go ahead and get it at B&N because I'm reading the trilogy right now (I'm right near the beginning of Unravel Me), so I'm well on my way to reading this and plan to complete it by the end of the month. First of all, this cover is just so gorgeous! The orange and blue are gorgeous and it's such a pretty turquoise color on the spine and I love the textured-looking color. Just so pretty. So is the Shatter Me cover (the paperback, not the old original hardback cover). Anyway, this is my series of the month, so expect a post on it at the end of April!

The Giver- Lois Lowry

I got this one at Barnes & Noble as well. It was a bit of an impulse buy because it was only $7. Surprisingly, I never had to read this for school, but I'd wanted to read this for a long time, and since it was inexpensive, I decided to go ahead and get it. I actually already read this. I haven't done any sort of review on this, but I'm thinking that I might do a stand-alone mash-up review, and this would definitely be included.


Burke's Used Books

All of these books are from a trip to Burke's Used Books (a used bookstore near my school) last weekend!

Animal Farm- George Orwell

I've been hunting for some interesting classics, and I read George Orwell's 1984 earlier this year and really enjoyed it, so Animal Farm was pretty high on the list of classics I wanted to buy. I found this in great condition for only $2, so I snatched it up!

Anthem- Ayn Rand

I read this in 9th grade and really enjoyed it. What can I say? I like classic dystopian! Anyway, this was $3 and although I wanted the well-known Signet cover with the light bulb on it because that's the one I read in the first place, but aesthetically, I like this one better. The only thing I'm a little worried about is that there's a little blurb in the beginning about editing, and I'm not sure what exactly was edited, but I'm hoping it's not a really weird edition. I'll find out eventually though!

Frankenstein- Mary Shelley

Yet another classic! This was on the list of classics I wanted to read, and since it was $1.50, I couldn't pass it up. It's the same person who edited the copy of Anthem that I have, so hopefully this one is edited well. Anyway, I don't plan on picking this one up to read it for a while, but I couldn't pass up that super low pricetag.

Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

Although I haven't heard a lot about this book lately, I remember hearing a lot about it not that long ago. I know it's considered by many to be a YA contemporary classic. I've always liked this cover, and it was only $4. Surprisingly, this was the most expensive book I bought on this trip. 

The Last Olympian- Rick Riordan

I started this series back when there were only three books in it. I never continued on once the fourth and fifth book came out, but I did end up buying the fourth book at some point. This was the only one I was missing, and since it was only $4 and in good condition, I decided to go ahead and get it. Maybe I can marathon this series later in the year!

Dear Killer- Katherine Ewell

So, at Burke's, if you purchase more than $5 in books, you get a free ARC (Advance Reader Copy) off of a table. This one sounded the most interesting, so I decided to pick it up. It'll take me a while to get to it, but I know a couple booktubers are planning on reading this soon, so it'll be nice to get some opinions on this book!


Goodwill Bookstore

I bought all of these at the Goodwill bookstore near me. None of them were more than 2.99, which is really exciting, but the bookstore is closing at the end of the month, so it's my last time to get to go there.

Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury

I actually read this book at the beginning of the month, and when I saw this, in this really cool cover, in decent condition, FOR 99 CENTS. This is another one that might end up in the standalone post, so I won't go into my feelings about the book, but clearly, I enjoyed it enough to buy it. 

To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee

This was one of the best books I read in high school. For some reason, I'd never happened to purchase it, but I found it for $2, so I thought I'd go ahead and buy it. There were several copies for only a dollar, but they weren't in good condition, so I grabbed this one.

The Lord of the Flies- William Golding

Yet another book I read in high school. I remember liking this one pretty well. It was never my favorite, but at that point I wasn't a big fan of classic literature. But it's definitely one of the better classics I've read. This copy is just a little beat up, but it was only a dollar. So I decided to pick it up!

Carrie- Stephen King

This is another book that I read earlier this month. Once again, I'm planning on doing a review of some stand-alones I've read recently, so I won't go into too much detail about my opinion, but once again, I liked it enough to buy it. I really like this cover of the book, and it was $2, so it was a no-brainer for me.

One Day- David Nicholls

I saw the beginning of this movie with my mom (until she turned it off because she didn't like it) and the concept was really interesting to me, and since it was only $3, I decided that it was worth giving it a try. I probably won't pick it up for a while, but at $3, it was too hard to pass it up.

A Storm of Swords- George R.R. Martin

You have no idea how excited I was to find this! So, I really like the tall, trade paperback editions of the A Song of Ice and Fire. I've never been a huge fan of mass-market paperback novels. 
Look at the trade paperback next to the mass-market paperback!
However, the trade paperbacks are so much more expensive and it makes me sad that I have to pay so much more just to have the other edition. But I found this one for $2.99. As opposed to the almost $20 that it is new. It's a little damaged and frayed, but not too bad. I'm so glad I found this!


Book Outlet

All of these books were from an order from the Book Outlet. It took a while to get here, and I was terrified when it came, because this is what the box looked like:
Personal info is blocked out, obvi.

I was really worried that my books would be damaged because, seriously look at that ginormous hole/rip! But everything was in perfect shape (well, mostly perfect). But I'll get into that in a bit. 

The Chronicles of Prydain- 
#1- The Book of Three
#3- The Castle of Llyr
#4- Taran Wanderer
#5- The High King

So, these are the books that the 1985 Disney movie, The Black Cauldron, is based on. The Black Cauldron is the second book in the series, and as you can see, it's the only one that I did not buy, because it wasn't available on the Book Outlet. I'm under the impression that the movie is based off of more than just the actual Black Cauldron book of the series, but I'm not sure how exactly how that plays out, but I really love the movie. Although it's one of the lesser known Disney movies, it's really interesting, and I want to learn about the rest of the world and see what else happens in the plot. I'm excited to get into these. Also, I'm impressed with how absolutely pristine these books came. Not even a single bent corner. So nice. And the $3 per book wasn't so bad either.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore- Robin Sloan

I've been wanting this book ever since I first heard about it. I love the typography on the cover, but that's not the important thing. I don't read a ton of adult novels, but this one just sounds so interesting. Since it seems to be a bit of a lesser known book (I've seen a few booktubers talk about it, but not a lot. I'm not sure how popular it is outside of booktube), it seems like it's always just a little more expensive. I found it in paperback at Burke's for $15. In this haul, I didn't spend more than $4 on a book, but that one was $15! What? I'd never seen the hardcover for less than $20. But then, I saw this on the Book Outlet, hardcover, for only $7. i didn't even hesitate to get it. This is #1 on my list of stand-alones to read. My only complaint is that some of the back rubbed against something and got something black on it.


So, there you go, all 21 books in this book haul! That was a lot longer than I expected, but I'm genuinely extremely excited about all of these books. I hope you enjoyed this post! I might be doing more of these in the future, because I'm finding myself buying several books. 

Anyway, if y'all like my posts, it would be awesome if you would follow/subscribe to my posts, as it lets me know that y'all are enjoying what I'm doing. Thanks for reading, y'all. See you on Saturday!

1 comment:

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!