Thursday, March 20, 2014

Falling In Reverse- The Drug in Me Is You

Hey, y'all!

So, you've probably realized I was missing last week (as was addressed in a post on Saturday) and then didn't post Tuesday. I'm not gone! As I said in my last post, I didn't have internet at the place we were staying over spring break (which is ridiculous, because hotels have free wifi, but this CONDO didn't). Then, I got back from break and was playing catch-up. My homework piled up big-time, and I actually fell asleep with my laptop laying on my stomach last night. BUT, I was finally able to finish this up and get it posted. There will still be a new post Saturday, per usual!

ANYWAY... It's time for me to talk about another CD on my shelf! As always, I put my iTunes on shuffle, and the CD containing the first song that played is the one I'll be talking about!



Release Date: July 26, 2011
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Alternative

Track Listing
  1. Raised by Wolves
  2. Tragic Magic
  3. The Drug in Me Is You
  4. I'm Not A Vampire
  5. Good Girls, Bad Guys
  6. Pick Up The Phone
  7. Don't Mess With Ouija Boards
  8. Sink or Swim
  9. Caught Like a Fly
  10. Goodbye Graceful
  11. The Westerner

Falling In Reverse lineup on this CD:
Ronnie Radke- lead vocals
Jacky Vincent- lead guitar
Derek Jones- rhythm guitar
Nason Schoeffler- bass guitar
Scott Gee- drums, percussion




About Falling In Reverse: 
When Ronnie Radke was arrested in 2008, he was kicked out of Escape the Fate, the band he was singing for at the time. Falling In Reverse was actually formed while he was in prison, and they even began putting out music while he was still in prison. When he was released from prison in December 2010, the band began recording their debut CD, The Drug in Me Is You. Their sophomore release, Fashionably Late, was released in June 2013.

My Opinion about Falling In Reverse:
I have really mixed feelings about this band. First off, I don't like Ronnie Radke as a person. I think he's a complete jerk who needs to grow up and pull himself together. As far as their music, I'm very torn. Half of their music is stuff I really enjoy and think is really great. The other half is so bad it's good- guilty pleasure music. I'm very confused how that music could come from the same person.

About the CD:  
As I said earlier, this CD was recorded almost immediately after Ronnie was released from prison. The sound on this CD is fairly consistent (especially when compared to their second CD) and it is the post-hardcore sound which I consider to be the Falling In Reverse "sound". Guitar solos, which are some of Falling In Reverse's best moments, are all over the place in this CD, and it improves it significantly.

IMHO: 
This is my favorite Falling In Reverse CD. I like the consistent sound much better than their completely disjointed sophomore release featuring everything from post-hardcore, to rap, to country. Although this CD still has some songs that are so bad they're good, but overall, I enjoy it.

As always, I'm going to give each song a rating out of 10 and then give a brief explanation of why it got that rating. 


Raised by Wolves- 9.5/10. It's a really strong opener. Really catchy and a great mix of clean and unclean vocals!
Tragic Magic- 8.5/10. One of many songs where Ronnie is writing about himself and being arrogant, but I really like the breakdown in the second half of the song.
The Drug in Me Is You- 9.5/10. I completely love the guitar in this song. The chorus and verses are really different, but both really great. And I love the bass in the verses. It's great.
I'm Not A Vampire- 10/10. My favorite song on the CD. I think it's really fun. It has some of the silly Ronnie lyrics, but they make me laugh rather than roll my eyes (Hi, my name is Ronnie, I'm an addict/ Daddy should've never raised me on Black Sabbath... I just love it!). And the guitar and bass parts are great.
Good Girls, Bad Guys- 9/10. I'm so mixed on this song. I really love the music but the lyrics are abysmal. (Just wanna kiss your lips/ the ones between your hips; sexy, please text me/ I'm ready for you... REALLY?). I hate the lyrics but it's just so catchy that I can't hate it or that great guitar solo. But it loses points for those terrible lyrics.
Pick Up The Phone- 9.5/10. Once again with these bass parts that I love. I also really like vocals on this one. Yes, for once, Ronnie Radke is one of the main reasons I like a song. Shocking.
Don't Mess With Ouija Boards- 8.5/10. I'm not sure what it is about the unclean vocals in this song... but I just don't like them. Usually I'm a pretty big fan of Falling In Reverse's use of unclean vocals, but the unclean vocals for the first half of this song aren't my favorite. I like the breakdown in the middle, though! I guess they're just a bit too heavy-handed. But otherwise I like the song!
Sink or Swim- 8.5/10. I thought the unclean vocals were a little heavy-handed in this one as well, but otherwise, it's a really interesting, and pretty eclectic song.
Caught Like a Fly- 9/10. I love the carnival-like sound. It's really cool and unique! And for once I really enjoy Ronnie being kinda angsty.
Goodbye Graceful- 8/10. This is the least played song on the CD. I think I just overlook it a lot because overall, all the songs on this CD are great, and this one's just kinda average.
The Westerner- 9/10. Oh look, another one all about Ronnie! But really like this one. Like Sink or Swim, this one is kinda eclectic. It transitions through several markedly different sections, each of which is really great.


Favorite Songs: I'm Not A Vampire, The Drug in Me Is You, Raised By Wolves, and Pick Up The Phone

Least Favorite Songs: Goodbye Graceful- it just gets lost in the mix.

Video! 

I'm Not A Vampire music video

The Drug In Me is You music video

Rating: 9/10. The average is about a 9, and I think that's accurate. It's good but not absolutely spectacular.

Hope you liked my newest "The CDs on my Shelf" post! Have any questions? What did you think of Falling In Reverse? Let me know in the comments. If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow, because it lets me know y'all are liking them! Hope you enjoyed! Comment, comment, comment! I love feedback! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!