Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Instagram Book Challenge... Times 2!

Hey, y'all! So I haven't done a challenge yet this month and since I don't really have time to do two, I decided to do two challenges which were similar and overlap just a little. And for once, these actually come from Instagram! So, I actually decided to format the pictures as if they were actually Instagram pictures, so they have frames and filters and other fun things. So, since I have two challenges, let's get straight into the challenges!


1) Cover Love

I go on and on and on about my love of the covers of Across The Universe and A Million Suns, but they're all over this challenge already, so I chose one of my recent cover loves. I purposely bought the paperback just so that I could have this cover. It just looks really cool! And I'm going to be reading this very, very soon.

2) Made Me Cry

I picked a handful of books that made my cry more than any others. The last 200 pages of Deathly Hallows just keep me constantly crying. I even found a filter that looked like little water droplets so I used it. All the sobs.

3) I Want His/Her Life

Hermione Granger. Imma steal your life. I want to go to Hogwarts. I want to be one of the golden trio. I want to marry Ron Weasley. She just has a great life.

4) Oldie But A Goodie

Look at the cool old-fashioned effect I found! If you've read my Top 15 Stand-alones post (link HERE!), you'll know how much I absolutely love this book. It was published in the 1930s, but it reads so easily and it's a very intricate and well-crafted mystery. 

5) Superior Second Book

These are all the sequels that I own and have read which are better than the first book. Hopefully I can add to this list with all the series I plan on reading soon!

6) Best Book Abroad

I mean, these two series are both abroad and they're some of my faves. I almost chose some series like Pendragon and Across The Universe, but those aren't even set on Earth! So I chose some books set in Britain!

7) Could Be YA... But Isn't

It's all about teenagers! The only reason it's labeled adult is because it's Stephen King. Yes, it's really crazy and could be too horror or violent for YA, but I have a feeling that if it was published today rather than in the 70s, it would be considered YA. 

8) TBR Book on My Shelf

This series is very high on my TBR. Very high. like I want to get to it in August. If I don't get into it in August, I'll read it in September. Really soon.

9) Currently Reading

I'm so close to being done with my July challenge! I plan on finishing this up tonight so that I can take a couple days on The Soldiers of Halla.

10) Fantastic Fantasy

I've been talking about this series a lot because I'm rereading it this month, but I feel like this series is very underrated. It's amazing. AMAZING. It's a middle grade series, but by the middle, I would count it as a full-fledged YA series. 

11) OMG Ending

Besides the ending of Deathly Hallows, this is the most beautifully written ending I've ever read. The epilogue is a large part of the reason that Clockwork Princess landed in the "made you cry" picture.

12) Remarkable Retelling

So, I haven't read any re-tellings yet, but it seems like everyone absolutely loves this series, so I'm putting my trust in my favorite booktubers on this one.

13) Wish I Was There

I decided not to go with the obvious "Hogwarts" answer. I would love to flume to Cloral because it seems like such a gorgeous and fun territory. Sniggers at Grollo's for everyone!

14) Stellar Sci-Fi

Y'all. Y'all. I know I've said it before, but this trilogy is one of the most underrated YA trilogies ever. It's a very consistent series. All three books are very good. Series like Divergent and Shatter Me are incredibly inconsistent quality-wise (I didn't like Shatter Me, but Unravel Me and Ignite Me got better, and I LOVED Divergent, but Insurgent and Allegiant got progressively worse). All 3 of these books are perfect. Love.

15) Road Trip Book

The first time I read the series, I was on a road trip while reading 3 & 4 and have very vivid memories of reading Prisoner of Azkaban in the car while stuck on an icy road in the middle of the night. That book will always be associated with road trips for me.

16) Reluctant YA Reader Rec

This was a very difficult one for me, because I don't know of any books that could definitely sway someone to appreciate YA. But this book is beautifully written and deals with very serious issues, so I think that it could convince a reluctant YA reader that YA isn't petty or bad-quality.

17) Shades of... Green

I mean, this one speaks for itself. It's called Shades of Earth and it has several shades of green on the cover. It fulfills the challenge on its own! 

18) Oh So Swoonworthy

Jace Wayland (or whichever last name you wanna use but I'm avoiding spoilers). I absolutely love Jace. Love. A lot of people would choose William Herondale or Jem Carstairs from The Infernal Devices, but I feel like Jace is a combo of the two of them. He loves books and plays piano and he's sarcastic and arrogant but actually a softie. I love him. Love.

19) Fave Use Of Font

I absolutely love the typography on this book. I'm a big fan of hand-written looking fonts, and I especially like the way that it's used.

20) Made Me Think

You could say that it made me... doublethink. Bad jokes, bad jokes. Anyway, it really made me think about how much we take freedom of speech and freedom of thought for granted. 

21) Spine Show & Tell

So, these are some of my favorite spines, and they just so happened to form a rainbow! I love the ombre on the Across The universe trilogy, the simplistic red of McFly's book, the highlighter orange of Ready Player One, the typography of Mr. Penumbra's, and the beautiful teal of Ignite Me. Love.

22) Late To the Party

So, there's being late to the party, and then there's whatever I've got going on, because I still haven't read them. So I'm still late to the party. I haven't even gotten to the party yet!

23) 2014 Release

This was the first 2014 release that I read this year, and I had a lot of fun making this picture look really old, since the plot takes place long in the past!

24) Make the Movie!

I've already talked about Pendragon a lot in this post, but this is honestly #1 on my list of books I want to see as movies. They were written to become movies! And yet, they haven't yet. It's really sad. 

25) Mug + Book

I had a really cool music mug but it broke. And that was my only mug. It was beautiful and I'm really sad. Soooo, I used my record tumbler and went with a music theme. 

26) Starts with a J...

I don't have any books that start with J, so Infinite Jest was the closest I had...

27) Best. Title. Ever.

Would I say it's the best title ever? No. But it's definitely one of my favorites that I own because of the irony of an amnesiac having a memoir.

28) Great Dedication

Love it. So perfect, especially with the seven horcruxes. And I always really love when authors dedicate books to the fans. 

29) Cool Cover Remodel

This cover is 20 million times better than that really terrible original cover that had nothing to do with the story. I mean, look at it:
Literally nothing to do with the plot.

30) School Setting

I mean, is there any better school setting? Is it even possible to have a better school setting? I think NOT.

31) Best Book of July

I do still have to finish 2 books, but so far, this is surprisingly my favorite. I went into it remembering it as one of my least favorites of the series, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was really impressed.


So, that's the end of the I Heart YA July Photo Challenge! Now, we're gonna jump right into the #30DaysOfBookstagrams July Challenge!


1) July TBR

I set myself the goal of re-reading the Pendragon series, which you already know if you've been following my blog. I've only got two left, so yay!

2) A Book in the Sun

What about a book in... A Million Suns? Oh man, my jokes are terrible. But true to my vampiric form, I don't want to take a book outside into the sun... but mostly because I'm just too lazy. 

3) Summer Book Boyfriend

It's not really a "summer" series, but I read it in the summer. So Jace. Always Jace.

4) Awesome Typography

Apologies for the repeat, but I just really love this typography!

5) Best Photograph on a Cover

I typically am not a fan of photography on covers. I don't like actual people on my covers. However, I absolutely love the Sweeney Todd movie tie-in cover, because Johnny Depp.

6) Blue Books

Blue on blue on blue. 3 books I love, another that I love the cover of. Guess which is which? 

7) Book + Song With Same Title

The book was actually named after the song (Across The Universe by The Beatles. If you didn't get that, then what are you doing with your life?!), and the titles of the other two books in the series come from the song as well! The series is great, and that Beatles connection just makes it even better.

8) Spell Your Name With The 1st Letter of Books

I don't have any books that begin with the letter K, so I went with my last name.

9) Your Head in a Book

I'm fully aware that this wasn't what it meant by face-in-book, but I was sleepy. So this is what you get.

10) Road Trip Book

When I saw this, I didn't think I had any road trip books, but then I saw The Lightning Thief, and I realized, "Ooh, that's a road trip book!" because although it's a fantasy, it revolves around their road trip!

11) Page Excerpt From Current Read

I love DJ's little notes at the beginning of the Pendragon books. 

12) Favorite Bookmark

I made this bookmark, with symbols of some of my favorite things: Harry Potter and music!

13) Favorite Non-Fiction

I also really love McFly's Unsaid Things but that one popped up several times in other pictures, and this one has had a huge impact on my life. 

14) Book Chessboard (Black + White)

This was a little difficult, because I don't have a ton of just white books, but I "made it work," in the words of Tim Gunn... and yes, I'm watching Project Runway while working on this post.

15) A Signed Book

Yep. That's right. I have a signed copy of TFioS. Be jealous. I found it in Target one day. I had planned on buying the book at some point, but I didn't have immediate plans to buy it. That changed the second I saw the "Signed Copy" sticker.

16) Recently Bought Books

I have my July book haul coming next week, so here's a sneak peek of it! I wanna keep y'all guessing right til the end.

17) A Classic You Love

What's better than one great classic? 3 great classics! All three of these books are really great. Love.

18) Books By Favorite Author

You're probably slightly confused right now. Why isn't this a picture of JK Rowling's books? Allow me to explain. I recently watched a video by Ariel Bissett where she discussed her favorite authors. She said that she didn't count JK as one of her favorite authors because she didn't have faith that she would love every book by JK. That got me thinking. When The Casual Vacancy, The Cuckoo's Calling, and The Silkworm came out, I felt no urge whatsoever to purchase/read them (although I'm kinda interesting in The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm now). I'm more attached to the Harry Potter series than to JK herself. However, I'm already looking forward to Cassie Clare's next book. Yes, it's still set in the same world, but I'm READY. Also, the Bane Chronicles. Yes. 

19) Book Spine Poetry

A Million Suns Ignite Me Across the Universe
Beautiful Creatures Catching Fire Shatter Me
A City of Ashes Under The Dome; A Brave New World
Nothing Feels Good.

Mostly crappy, but I don't really care.

20) A Book That Make You LOL

Weasley twins, Weasley twins, Weasley twins. They are mostly 90% of the reason why this book is #6 on my favorite HP books rather than 7. They are too hilarious.

21) A Book in the Bin (Crappy Book)

No, your eyes didn't just die. This is pixelated book is going to be part of my Stand-Alone Reviews #2 post that I think should be coming out next month. If you're familiar with the book, there's a good chance you still recognize it. But I didn't want want to spoil it. But yeah, I didn't like this book. Nope. I didn't like the characters, and the plot didn't surprise me. I'll probably get some hate for this one.

22) Snap Your Own Cover

So, TBH I was way too lazy to figure out what cover to change and what to take a picture of, so here's what I wish the Shades of Earth cover looked like.

23) Ombre Spines

I clearly have a lot of blue books. There were several more I could've used, but I tried to get a good ombre going.

24) Books in Your Bag

I took it out of the bag to take a picture, but yeah, since this is the book I'm reading, I had it in my bag!

25) Imitate a Book Cover

I didn't really want to use this because I think it's a terrible picture of me, but I tried. I couldn't figure out anything else to do, and this just worked because of the hair. So... yeah. 

26) Book + Flowers

I don't keep flowers laying around because I hate flowers, and I hate the outside, so I didn't want to go outside and search for flowers, so here's a book with flowers on it.

27) Bookish Art

I absolutely love this picture. TRUTH.

28) Color Palette Tag

So, I couldn't find anything about the color palette tag until after I already took this picture and was working on this post, so I just decided to do a picture about my personal color palette/ favorite colors. My favorite color is red. I also really love teal, black, purple, and charcoal. I also really love Fangirl's dust jacket's color, but this was the only charcoal I had. But yeah, those are my five favorite colors.

29) A Book + Album That Goes Well Together

I mean, these are actually perfect. They came out the same year, and they're both a trip down McFly's Memory Lane. They were basically made for each other. 


30) Favorite Book of July

Like I said earlier, this is my favorite of the month so far!

31) Freebie!: A book you recommend to EVERYONE.

Get it. Read it. Love it. It's just such a beautiful and perfect book and I love everything about it. I tell everyone to read it all the time.


Whew, that was a marathon of a post! Next month, the regular challenges will resume, I promise!

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading this! If you like my posts, don't forget to subscribe/follow, since it lets me know that you're enjoying what I'm doing. See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!