Wednesday, September 24, 2014

August/September Book Haul [Book Haul #4]

Hey, y'all! I'm here with another book haul! I didn't do one in August, because I didn't really buy many books in August. But with August and September combined, I think I now have enough to post a haul!



Books at Home

As you may know if you've kept up with my blog, I took a trip home to visit my parents in August. While there, I purchased a few books for nostalgia's sake, and left them at home because I'm not planning on re-reading them any time soon. But I decided that I should go ahead and show you what they are.

A to Z Mysteries:
Absent Author, Haunted Hotel, Missing Mummy, and Runaway Racehorse



 I absolutely loved this series as a child, and these four were my favorite. I found them at a used bookstore for pretty cheap, and since I've been collecting books from my childhood, I decided to go ahead and get them.


Magic Tree House Series: Midnight on the Moon

This was another of my favorite series as a child. I purchased book 10 (Ghost Town at Sundown) a few months back, and this one is my other favorite in the series, so when I saw it at that same used bookstore, I decided to go ahead and get it.

OK, now I'm going to move on to the books that I actually have with me!



Obligatory BookOutlet Order



Seriously, I've had a BookOutlet purchase on all of the book hauls that I've done so far. But at least I didn't go crazy with it!

Listen To This by Alex Ross


I bought two books by Alex Ross in this BookOutlet purchase. This one was a bit more of a whim. I knew I wanted his other book, but decided that I might as well get this one too. Alex Ross is a music historian, and while I'm not sure exactly what all this book covers, I do know that it covers a broad range of music history, including both classical/art musicians and pop/contemporary musicians. I absolutely love music history, so I felt the need to pick it up. 


Girl of Nightmares
by Kendare Blake


This is the sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood, which I showed in my last haul. I plan to read scary/horror novels in October, so I thought I should go ahead and pick this one up. Neither of them are extremely long, so hopefully I can get through both of them along with the other books I want to read next month!


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer


I have several series on my TBR list, but this one is right at the top. I've wanted to read the Lunar Chronicles for quite a while. Scarlet was really cheap on BookOutlet, so it was a no-brainer.


The Rest Is Noise by Alex Ross


As I mentioned earlier, this is the other Alex Ross book that I got off of BookOutlet. I know significantly more about this book, because I've already read 2 chapters of it for class. This book focuses on the history of art music throughout the 20th century, focusing on the most important composers and compositions. It's a little dense, but 20th century "classical"/art music is my absolute favorite and I love reading more about it. 


You Are Now Less Dumb 
by David McRaney


This book is the sequel to "You Are Not So Smart," which was the first book that I read this year. Each chapter of the book is centered around a certain theory or concept, and McRaney explains ways that your brain tricks you or ways that you're deluded into believing incorrect things. It's super interesting and McRaney has a really fun, witty writing style.




Used Bookstores


These were purchased at different places and in different times, but they were all purchased at used bookstores!

Clockwork Angel 
by Cassandra Clare


I read this book (the first in Cassie's Infernal Devices trilogy) in May and although it's my least favorite in the trilogy, it's an amazing book, and I only had it in paperback. I found it in hardcover for $5 and had to snatch it up. If you'd like to see my thoughts on the book, you can click here to see the post I did on it back in May.


Gone by Michael Grant


I got this one at the used bookstore while visiting my parents. I'd been eyeing this series for a while, but I actually kinda like the terrible original covers with the dramatic models more than the new covers. So when I found this original cover, I had to snatch it up! 


A Series of Unfortunate Events 
Book 13: The End
by Lemony Snicket


I acquired the other 12 books in this series in my May/June book haul. I wasn't in any rush to get this one, but since I came across it in the same used bookstore where I found Gone, I decided to go ahead and pick it up.



Full-Priced Purchases



I bought these at different places, but unlike all the other books in this haul, they weren't bought used or on an inexpensive site... so they're called the full-priced books.


More Than This by Patrick Ness



So, lately I've been in a reading slump. It's not that I don't want to read, it's just that I've been extremely busy, and in my free time, I just want to sit and do nothing. So, last weekend, I decided that the best way to get out of my slump would be to figure out what I'm in the mood to read and to get a single book that fits that perfectly and to read it. I had some specific ideas. I wanted something in one of my two favorite genres (fantasy and dystopian), I wanted it to be a quick, fast-paced read, and I wanted a stand-alone. I took to GoodReads, and came up with More Than This. I still have yet to start it, but I'm hoping to start it tonight. Crossing my fingers.


Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix


I pre-ordered this book because I was really intrigued by the premise. It's a horror book set in an Ikea-esque furniture store... and it's formatted like a catalog. That's just so incredibly intriguing to me. I'm definitely reading this as part of my October scary book month. So excited!


If I Stay by Gayle Forman


With all the hype surrounding the movie, I really wanted to get the book. I was also in a contemporary mood after reading Fangirl. I wasn't really in the mood for the contemporaries that I had, so I decided to get this and read it. I ended up getting into my reading slump before I could read it, but it's there on my TBR for whenever I feel like reading it.


So there we go, those are all the books I bought over the past two months! Hopefully, I can get out of this reading slump and actually read some of these books!

I've also created a Facebook page for my blog, so if you want to check that out and like it, you can click HERE. I'll try to keep that pretty up-to-date with new posts and such.

Thanks for reading! If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow so that I know you're enjoying what I'm posting! See y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!