Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Metro Station- Metro Station

Hey, y'all! It's time for me to talk about another CD on my shelf! As always, I put my iTunes on shuffle, and the CD containing the first song that played is the one I'll be talking about!





Release Date: September 18, 2007
Genre: Scene Pop, Pop Rock, Alternative

When I bought the CD: I think that I got this CD sometime in late 2008. This is one of the rare CDs where I can't recall the memory of buying it. I just know that I heard Shake It and listened to some of their other music and really enjoyed it, so I went ahead and bought the CD.

Track Listing
  1. Seventeen Forever
  2. Control
  3. Kelsey
  4. Shake It
  5. Wish We Were Older
  6. Now That We're Done
  7. True To Me
  8. Tell Me What To Do
  9. California
  10. Disco

Metro Station lineup on this CD:
Mason Musso- Lead vocals, keyboards, guitar
Trace Cyrus- vocals, lead guitar
Blake Healy- keyboards, synthesizers, bass guitar
Anthony Improgo- drums



L-R: Mason, Trace, Blake, Anthony

About Metro Station: 
Metro Station basically formed because of Hannah Montana. Trace's sister (Miley Cyrus, obvi) and Mason's brother (Mitchell Musso) were on the show together and that's how Trace and Mason met. They realized that they had similar musical interests, so they decided to form a band. Not long after, they recruited Anthony and Blake. They then eventually got picked up by a record label and as everyone knows, their song Shake It became really, really popular. In 2010, the band went on hiatus and the members pursued solo careers. Mason eventually began making music under the name of Metro Station again, and then in 2014, Trace re-joined the band, and they plan to begin making music soon.

My Opinion about Metro Station:
I like Metro Station. They're obviously slightly more pop/ electronic than the music that I normally listen to, but I enjoy their music. However, they're nowhere near my favorite. They have some good songs, but overall, they're just pretty average.

About the CD:  
There isn't a ton to say about the CD. It was released soon after the band signed to Columbia Records. They released 2 singles from it (Control and Kelsey), but didn't get too much attention from the public. And then Shake It was released and the band blew up... for a hot second. They then proceeded to kinda disappear.

IMHO: 
My opinion of the CD is basically the same as my opinion about the band, since this is their only CD. It's not amazing, it's just good. Some cool songs, some not so much.

As always, I'm going to give each song a rating out of 10 and then give a brief explanation of why it got that rating. 


---------------------------------------------------

Seventeen Forever- 9/10. One of the most interesting things about Metro Station is the contrast between Trace's whisper-like style of speech-singing and Mason's very typical pop punk voice, and this is contrast is especially interesting in this song.
Control- 8.5/10. It's an interesting, up-tempo song, but it's really typical. The bridge is probably my favorite part of the song. It's kinda fun to listen to, but it isn't exactly the most interesting song ever.
Kelsey- 8/10. I'm about to get really analytical here. As a music major, I can hear chord progressions fairly easily and this has some of the most boring chord progressions ever. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad song, it just makes it kinda boring and typical. I like it, but it's just very typical.
Shake It- 10/10. The contrast between Trace's and Mason's voices is never done better than on this song. Trace's very unique voice shines in the verses, and Mason's fun, pop-punk voice makes the chorus soar. There's a reason this song was really popular. It's just fun. It's not that complex, it's just fun.
Wish We Were Older- 9.5/10. This is my guilty pleasure song on the CD. It's so terrible, and the lyrics are just the exact same thing over and over, but it's just so fun to blast.
Now That We're Done- 5/10. Ouch. Big plummet. Obviously, I don't totally hate it, but Mason's voice on the chorus actually kinda annoys me, and I think it's kinda boring.
True To Me- 9/10. Strangely, the thing that I love about most Metro Station songs is the contrast between Trace and Mason's voices, but this song is fun because it's just Mason singing all of it. But honestly, Trace's voice just wouldn't work for this song.
Tell Me What To Do- 4/10. Ouch. Another really low one. Trace's voice is... weird on this one. It's almost like he's trying to rap but not...? I like the chorus... kinda.
California- 10/10. I love this song. This is probably the only Metro Station that I'd say I love. Trace's voice and Mason's voice contrast perfectly, just as in Shake It. It's really great. Love.
Disco- 6/10. I kinda like the chorus. This song could really use Trace's voice. Mason is kinda mimicking Trace's voice in the verses, but it would sound better if he would just do it. The little moments with Trace singing are the best parts. It's just pretty boring.

---------------------------------------------------


Favorite Songs: California and Shake It

Least Favorite Songs: Tell Me What To Do and Now That We're Done

Video! 

Shake It music video

California w/lyrics

Rating: 8/10. There are some songs well below this, and a handful well above, but I feel like this is pretty accurate given the extreme variability of scores and how much I like it overall.

 Hope you liked my newest "The CDs on my Shelf" post! Have any questions? What are your opinions on Metro Station? Let me know in the comments. If you like my posts, I'd really appreciate if you'd subscribe/follow, because it lets me know y'all are liking them! Hope you enjoyed! Comment, comment, comment! I love feedback! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know!