Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Review of Mary Kay Products

Mary Kay is kinda where my interest in makeup started. My aunt has sold Mary Kay for a while now, and starting a couple years ago, my birthday and Christmas presents have either been Mary Kay products or a shopping spree on Mary Kay's website. So, I've racked up quite a collection of Mary Kay products, and decided to give my review on the stuff that I have!

Eyes:



Silky Caramel: I actually got this one simply because it seemed like it would be a nice, natural looking color, and it is. I like it because it's not exactly my skintone so it does look like eye shadow, but natural eye shadow. 
Granite: This is probably the eye shadow I use the most. I really like it because it is metallic, but the color is kinda a mix of brown and silver.
Iris: It's one of the only matte ones that I have, and I kinda wish it was sparkly. I don't use it often because I don't do color often, but if I did, I would use it in a heartbeat.
Denim Frost: This is the blue un-labelled one. They don't sell it anymore, which is why the picture is different. When it's on your face, depending on how much you put on, it looks more metallic than blue. If you just have a light coating, it looks sparkly with a hint of blue. The more you add, the more blue it looks. And it's actually a lighter blue than it appears in this picture. 
Black Pearl: I was warned on how black this one is, but I like black! If you don't apply too much, it's a more charcoal-y color and looks great.
Silver Satin: This is another that I wear a lot. I really like the silver, as well as how metallic it is. It's one of my favorite eye shadows that I own.

Overall, I really like Mary Kay's eye shadow, and I use it almost exclusively. It's definitely buildable. You can use a little for a light color, but it's very easy to add on and get a darker color. Based on the quality of the ones I have, I would definitely recommend any of the colors! They're only 6.50, which keeps them in the range of drugstore brands, but at a higher quality!


I also have Mary Kay's Eye Applicators, because when I first got the eye shadow, I didn't have ANY brushes at all. I have two sets, one for each of my compacts, and I have NEVER used the sponge applicators. I just don't like sponge application. I love brushes, and I think this is a really good brush!

I really really LOVE Mary Kay's black eyeliner. I've never found anything that can match it. It's a twist eyeliner, so like pencils, it's way easier to use than liquid liner, and it's also much creamier than a pencil. It's kinda the best of both worlds, and it's a really great quality liner. As far as the steely one, I really like the actual color, but it isn't as thick and I have to actually apply pressure to get it on, while the black easily glides on. Regardless, I still really love them both and would suggest them to anyone. I think that the price is a bit too high, but it's good enough quality that I don't mind paying it.

  While I think it's a good mascara, I really didn't see a big difference between it and the other waterproof mascaras that I've used. I probably wouldn't spend the $15 on it, since I feel like I can get the same quality out of something that costs half the price. But it is a great mascara and if you're willing to spend the money on it, you will get a good product.

Lips:


I only have the one icicle color. When you use the "virtual makeover" on the Mary Kay website and you put it on yourself, it makes it look like the lip gloss makes your lips actually a lighter color. In reality, it's just a really high-quality clear lip gloss. It lasts for a while and isn't crazy sticky, but I don't really use it a lot. I really like flavored lip stuff, so I generally just like Chapstick or cheap lip gloss. So again, great product, but I probably don't use it enough for it to be worth the price. But for other people, it would definitely be worth it. And as you can see on the side, there's a large selection of colors to choose from.

Face:


I actually never use my concealer, even though I have plenty reason to. When I got my concealer, they had them labelled differently. Rather than "Ivory" or "Yellow," they had things like light1, light2. Since I'm so pale, I automatically went for "light1" because I ALWAYS need the lightest one. But that ended up being what is considered "yellow" now. And I definitely don't have much if even any yellow to my skintone. So it doesn't match my skintone at all. I'm just glad I didn't pay for that, and am glad that they're doing a better job of showing what they really are.



These are the two blushes that I have. They don't look that different on here, but they do look significantly different in person. I like the Shy Blush better, because it looks more natural on my face, but I do like the Strawberry Cream one as well. That said, I'm not a huge fan of face color. I like eye and lip emphasis more.

I don't think I have this actual brush, because my brush was less expensive and is slanted. But I like it. I like that it's slanted. Since I don't have this specific one, I can't speak to the shape of it, but the one I have is a great brush. Everything goes on really evenly.



Although they aren't makeup, they ARE Mary Kay products that I use on a regular basis. I use them every morning before putting any makeup on, and I like that they're not perfumey. And it doesn't have a laundry list of acids, so the ingredients are all really good for your skin. The only reason that I don't use it both morning and night is because at night, I use an acne clearing system. I use this more as a counterpoint to the severeness of the acne cleanser. I especially like that it's made specifically for different skin types (as well as 2 other lines for other skin types). The best part is that this one is for skin that is oily AND sensitive, which is really rare for something to do! And I really like how thin the moisturizer is, because I don't have to use as much to cover my face well.

Compacts:








For me, the Mini is the most worthwhile, but it may not be for someone else. It holds pretty much the exact same stuff, except the lip gloss. For me, that's fine, because I like keeping my lip gloss separate from the rest of my makeup. Plus, the mini is just more compact. So, for me, the 2 extra dollars seems a bit pointless, but I got it mostly because I had the mini and wanted to try the other one.

I also took some pictures of my compacts, both open and closed, so here they are!

 Mini:

Mini Compact- closed
Mini Compact- Top Layer
(L-R: Silver Satin, Black Pearl, Granite. Shy Blush cheek color)
Mini Compact- Bottom Layer (blush brush, eyeshadow brush)

Regular Compact:


Closed
Open (L-R: Denim Frost, Silky Caramel, Iris.
Strawberry Cream cheek color.
Icicle lip gloss. Eye applicators.)

















My Top 5 personal faves/ must-haves:
1. Eyeliner- Black
2. Mineral Eye Color- Granite
3. Mineral Eye Color- Silver Satin
4. Botanical Effects- Cleanse Formula 3 (Oily/Sensitive)
5. Botanical Effects- Hydrate Formula 3 (Oily/Sensitive)

So, there you go! Those are my reviews of the Mary Kay products that I have! Overall, I really like Mary Kay, and there are only a few products that I don't like enough to re-purchase. Thanks for reading, and let me know in the comments what YOU think of Mary Kay products. Did I get it wrong? Do you love Mary Kay's Eyeliner as much as I do? Let me know in the comments! See you on my next review!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have two compact pros (pink palette and peachy palette) and just bought the regular compact. I didn't realize how big it would be, but I wanted something small(er) that would carry my blush, eyeshadow, and lipstick. The compact pros are great because I am able to bring EVERYTHING I use (eyeshadows, blush, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick and also powder) and put it in my briefcase or purse when I travel. You did a great job with your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

I love hearing what you thought of my posts, so feel free to let me know! Feedback that is respectful towards myself and other commenters is ALWAYS appreciated, but I WILL delete comments containing foul language, so please just don't use it. Let's keep it clean, people! Thanks, y'all!